Blank screen - cant make calls!

Reaction score
My Droid is now the first phone that does everything but MAKE CALLS!

1) Dropped phone (fell out of shirt pocket onto floor, maybe 2 foot drop).

2) Battery cover fell off, phone did not turn off and battery stayed put.

3) Home screen was still locked as usual

4) Minute later, unlocked screen and saw blank wallpaper, no home screen icons (& no phone icon - no way to call anyone)

5) Pulled slider to left and right, no icons hidden. Pulled menu up, saw all applications as normal.

6) Did a restart. Pulled battery, etc. No effect.

7) Called from another phone. Droid rang and I was able to answer. After hangup, back to the drawing board - no home screen icons.

8) Searched post and found no other ideas as to how to solve this problem. Really do not want to have to put up with some untrained retard down at the Verizon store who will just tell me to call customer service WHEN I CAN'T USE THE ****ING PHONE.

9) THIS close to buying an iPhone right now - please help.

OP
A
Reaction score
oh yeah -

10) Online troubleshooting guide on Verizon site: "Page not found" arrgghhh.....

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
1) Dropped phone (fell out of shirt pocket onto floor, maybe 2 foot drop).

2) Battery cover fell off, phone did not turn off and battery stayed put.

How would you call this the droid's fault? :icon_eek: i'd say if it dropped hard enough to knock your battery cover off...it could have also damaged your display. hopefully you have insurance. good luck

OP
A
Reaction score
The Droid was not physically damaged, but I simply recounted the entire series of events, thinking maybe the disappearing home screen is a common problem.

Chances are, if there was something damaged in the fall the whole system would be totaled, not just one feature on the home screen. Again, it was a very short distance. The battery cover comes off very easily on this phone, IMHO. Needs a latch or something.

Anyway, after three battery removals, the home screen finally came back on. Problem solved.

Even so, Verizon should have a troubleshooting guide at the link where they point to it. Utterly inexcusable for such a heavily marketed phone expecting to compete with Apple. If it were not for Google Navigate, I might reconsider reluctantly joining the Church of Steve Jobs.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The Droid was not physically damaged, but I simply recounted the entire series of events, .
the phone doesn't have to be physically damaged to "break".

Some people have dropped it on concrete picked it up, dusted it off and were on their way. Others have simply dropped it on the carpet and it never turned again.

It's the way it is.

Your comments about VZW employees should be toned down a little. These people do their best and while their best may not be good enough for some people they still deserve respect.

Anyway, I'm glad you got your device up and running.

Welcome to the forums.

OP
A
Reaction score
Good point about damage not always being apparent; I guess I got lucky. As for VZW employees, while I agree with you generally, you obviously have never been to the store near me.

Several years ago I was walking to the door about to go in when a man driving a van called me over and asked if I could get someone from inside to come out and take his bill and payment, which he wanted to drop off. I immediately saw that he was in a wheelchair and understandably did not want to have to bother getting everything out just for the short trip inside. I said of course, no problem, went inside and found a sixty-something old guy in a verizon shirt standing by the door doing nothing (the store was full of customers and confusion). Barely did I explain the situation and the old fart got nervous & twittery and said "Oh, uhm, I don't think I'm authorized to go out there and do that." or something equally lame. Too scared to risk helping the handicapped? Pathetic.

I know it isn't fair to judge the whole store on one semi-retarded coot with coke bottle glasses who probably doesn't even work there anymore. But lets face it, under normal circumstances all wireless stores know an awful lot about their plans, but when it comes to tech support of individual phones, and Android in particular, the clerks are not always well trained.

This is not the case in an Apple store where everyone there knows about the products, since they're all from Apple (obviously). Until Motorola is cool and trendy enough to justify their own retail stores, there will be no reliable way to solve tech problems face to face. I'm not holding my breath for that day. Meanwhile I'd be impressed if VZW could at least post the trouble shooting page where its supposed to be.