Bionic turning off on its own?

Ansa82

Reaction score
Ok so I've noticed my "replacement" 2nd bionic turned itself off and rebooted itself 2 times today...why does it do that??

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Been having a very lively conversation with Verizon tech support on just that issue today. What zombies! The standard answer, we can reset or replace your phone with a refurb (in other words, we'll gladly send you someone else's problem so you'll have different problems )

Are you using the extended battery? I did not notice the auto-power down or random reboot feature till i switched to the extended battery. Ironically, a work colleague who also has a Bionic called earlier today to see if i was having the same problem ... he is also using the extended life battery. He has 2 cuz he travels allot, same problem with both extended life batteries. I may put the original back in to watch what it does. Meanwhile, even though i know a replacement battery will not fix the problem, i will likely let the zombies replace it . Maybe someone will eventually get a clue when easter-egging batteries does no work ;-)

So, your not alone partner... my guess is they are darn sure that there is a problem, they are just more interested in selling the next phone.

Stay tuned (if your network happens to stay up on the Bionic )

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

TomSr

Reaction score
At least your Bionic reboots. Mine shuts down spontaneously, requiring a battery pull. Waiting for my 3rd Bionic replacement tomorrow.

Moto makes junk..........

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, the "Black Screen of Death." Nothing short of a battery pull can fix it. I wonder if it is indeed an extended battery thing. If so it's odd as this is coming from Verizon and not a 3rd party.

OP
Ansa82

Ansa82

Reaction score
But i dont have an extended battery so it cannot be that

tbell6

Reaction score
Make sure you fully charge the battery and then run it until it shuts sown. Then recharge it fully. Do this at least once with each new battery.

When you have done that ( there is a reason the original instructions say to charge fully before use) the phone uses the full charge level to determine total avalable. If you trick your (new) phone with a partially charged battery, you get black screen lock up and appearance of bad battery life.

dmullen1373

Reaction score
Just worth noting here I think, I purchased an extended battery for an EVO a few months back before I got my Bionic, and it was doing the same thing. Not sure they're really of the same quality as the originals? If i set my phone down too hard, it would shut off, whereas with the original battery, I could throw it across the room and it would remain on....which of course I did because Sprint's coverage sucks so hard....

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on charging, stopped by Verizon, got a new battery, will do. Personally, i believe this is a firmware issue.

short283

Reaction score
Its not a battery issue cause I as well do not have the extended battery but I did some working around on my phone and now am random reboot free for the past 6 hours when it was rebooting every 2 to 5 minutes hopefully the problem is gone

OP
Ansa82

Ansa82

Reaction score
Its not a battery issue cause I as well do not have the extended battery but I did some working around on my phone and now am random reboot free for the past 6 hours when it was rebooting every 2 to 5 minutes hopefully the problem is gone

What did u do to fix issue?

short283

Reaction score
Well I now believe it is a memory issue/bug I was low on memory on my phone so I started transferring things to my phone to fill it up and then transfer it all to my spare sd card and the more I moved to my phone the more it randomly shut down and apps disapeared but now that every thing has been moved I freed up alot of memory and have not had a random shut down since yesterday at like 5:30pm or 6pm and not a single app has come up missing since either and when the apps disappeared it was in order of the most recently installed but any who check ur memory such as app space, media space. I now have 5 gigs app space and 7.7 gigs media space and a total of 12.7 gigs available on the sd card and as I said no random shut downs or missing apps since

woelda3000

Reaction score
Mine did it today fore the first time also was the first time on a 4g network in houston

bluezdawg

Reaction score

Geeze Short! Thought I had it bad, but every 2-5 minutes! Ouch!

short283

Reaction score
Yeah it was ridiculous but it still hasn't don't it since I freed up memory

Psychoknight14

Reaction score
I was told by a Verizon rep that some apps can glitch and cause the phone to reboot because of system failure... of course he was trying to sell me an iPhone with that statement since apple regulates the app store