Bionic overheating and dying

kilkenny

Reaction score
So my phone had about a 50% charge on it. 30 minutes later I grabbed it and it was hot...but I didn't have anything running. Couldn't get the screen to come on so I reset the battery. Still nothing so I put it on the charger and turned it on. After about 30 minutes on the charger it was very hot so I pulled it off and it immediately turned off. Did my battery just fry?

I installed the new software update about 2 weeks ago.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, your battery likely didn't fry, but there is something running hard that's sucking power at a fast rate, which is what's causing the battery to heat up. I've found at times that Motocast goes rogue and runs constantly. Other apps can also have similar effect. It can also be the phone simply trying to connect to the towers in a poor reception area or due to being too close to metallic objects which can block the signal. Check what's running and see if there is something in the status bar that shouldn't be. Also check in the Manage Apps section under the Running tab and look at what's running there.

You can also get a pretty good idea by checking the Battery screen (Menu button, Battery), and look to see what's been the biggest battery consumer. Click on it and view the app's stats to see how long it's been "Keep[ing] awake", the "CPU total" and "Data sent" and "Data received". You may wish to restart the phone in Safe Mode;

Enable Safe mode
  1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    1. To power off, press and hold the Power button (located on the top edge).
    2. Select Power off.
      linote.gif
      Allow several seconds for the device to power off.
  2. When the Motorola logo appears, release the Power button then press and hold the Volume Up / Down keys.
  3. Continue to hold the Volume Up / Down keys until Safe mode appears in the lower left of the screen then release.
    linote.gif
    This may take up to 45 seconds.
  4. While in Safe Mode, remove the most recently installed applications.
  5. Power cycle the device then attempt to use the device.
  6. If the device works properly, install applications one at a time to identify the application causing the problem.

To Disable Safe mode
  1. Press and hold the Power button.
  2. Select Power off.
    linote.gif
    Allow several seconds for the device to power off.
  3. Press and hold the Power button until the Motorola logo appears then release.

Good luck! :angry: