Bionic at Radio Shack: Whats the deal?

thehirsches

Reaction score
So, I was over at Radio Shack yesterday for batteries and happened to see the bionic on display. Picked it up and the sales guy started talking about the problems they are having right now.
I guess they are unable to sell them due to Verizon being upset with their $100 off deal so made them stop selling the device until they cleared this up.
He said he expected to start selling today, but at full price.

I had to go to another RS to get the battery as the first was out and the sales guy there said the same thing.

Later, I looked on the net to get more info and saw a ton of "RS deems the Bionic Unsellable(sp)" articles.

Can anyone confirm or deny whats going on with RS and the Bionic? I'd like to get one and would love to save $100 (or spend on a ton of accessories.)

Thanks.

wildride89

Reaction score
They had an article last week and they said verizon is pulling them due to issues also.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
thehirsches

thehirsches

Reaction score
I saw the various articles, but as of now, Verizon is still selling them. Most of the articles say Verizon pulled them because they did not have the stock to keep selling.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too many issues until the update gets here. I've had many 3g/4g data drops. Until yesterday, that was the only issue I had, then I started experiencing freeze ups. Well, after having to do 5 battery pulls in less than 24 hours, I decided to flash my first bionic rom, no problems yet. It's no wonder why radio shack pulled it. I'm sure it will be back though after all the issues are resolved.

sent from my liberated bionic running transparent Droid forums

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
The "unsellable Bionic" brouhaha is with Radioshack only. You can go into VZW or Amazon and get one there, so I don't think it's an issue with the Bionic itself; more likely an issue between Radioshack and VZW. I bought my Bionic on day one and pretty much the biggest issues I've gotten was more from user error than the phone itself. The only issue I've had that was either a Bionic or VZW issue was 3g/4g, but that was probably from Verizon's network problems.

marleyinoc

Reaction score
Folks on other verizon phones are having issues based on talk at work but feel free to leap to conclusions and bash the Bionic.

That said flipping from cdma to cdma/lte sure did seem to remedy issues I had today... and they seemed to start when I took phone off wifi from an access point that I didn't feel like signing/clicking into. Before today I only vaguely remember toggling a bit to get connection but I'm used to that on my home router/area with other phones.

via DroidForums on a Bionic running Liberty RC1

OP
thehirsches

thehirsches

Reaction score
Trying to find out what the specifics are with Radio Shack and the Bionic, not bash or praise the phone's abilities. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Does anyone know what is going on with RS? I called a store yesterday and they had no idea when they would be able to sell it again even though they have stock in their stores.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
If you want a Bionic and can't get it from Radioshack; BestBuy, Costco, Verizon, Amazon, Wirefly, and a slew of other internet sites have it. Radioshack isn't the only game in town and the deals at some of the places I've listed is far better than Radioshack anyway. Whatever issue they're going through with VZW and the Bionic is probably business in nature and since no one is talking, there seems no resolution date is on the horizon.

Last edited:

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has to be one of the most uninteresting mysteries around. If you want a Bionic and can't get it from Radioshack; BestBuy, Costco, Verizon, Amazon, Wirefly, and a slew of other internet sites have it. Radioshack isn't the only game in town and the deals at some of the places I've listed is far better than Radioshack anyway. Whatever issue they're going through with VZW and the Bionic is probably business in nature and since no one is talking, there seems no resolution date is on the horizon.

From what I heard, it was discontinued because of the "bug" issues. I'm sure once the bugs are worked out, they will be back to selling it. Think about this from a company standpoint, if you constantly had to hear complaints and issue replacement phones, wouldn't you pull the plug? They're probably just doing what's in their best interest.

sent from my liberated bionic using transparent Droid forums

bijancrash

Reaction score
I saw the deal at rs and went to my local , and usually very helpful, store to see if they would match the price, when they couldnt i went back to rs and got it there. When i went back to my local store they said rs got in trouble for selling it for less and therefor cant sell it for 3 months! Apparently they have a noncompete clause

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mikeyd08

Reaction score
Got my bionic from radio shack, saved $100, and never looked back.

sent from my galaxy tab 10.1 using droidforums (yes, I like android)