Best ROM for Droid Bionic

kwest12

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on CM buellboy9! Can you comment on the differences between Liquid and CM?

Also, can anyone suggest a ROM that will run without breaking stuff like Bluetooth music streaming, the camera, etc? In particular, I need those two features to work without much of a hitch.

buellboy9

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on CM buellboy9! Can you comment on the differences between Liquid and CM?

Also, can anyone suggest a ROM that will run without breaking stuff like Bluetooth music streaming, the camera, etc? In particular, I need those two features to work without much of a hitch.

Since I've never used Liquid, I can't really answer your question. The only other ROM I've used on the Bionic is Eclipse.

I routinely stream music from the phone to a bluetooth headset in my helmet when I'm riding and it still works perfectly. In fact, with CM's included "Apollo Music Player" and the built in DSP capabilities, my music never sounded better.

The only issue with CM 10.1 on the Bionic right now is that the flash doesn't work, but since I only do outdoor photography with it anyway that isn't an issue. The pictures I've taken with the camera came out just fine.

Hope that helps.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Newer models of carbon ROM and liquid have flash working. If you want to run a 4.2 ROM, then run carbon. It is the most stable one I've been on

deduct

Reaction score
Newer models of carbon ROM and liquid have flash working. If you want to run a 4.2 ROM, then run carbon. It is the most stable one I've been on

More stable than liquid?!

kwest12

Reaction score
Is there anything in Carbon that's notably broken? I don't need HDMI or DLNA. In particular, I want to be sure that the following work at LEAST as well as on stock:

• Both cameras (both picture and video)
  • Wifi (connection and tethering)
  • Radios (4G, 3G and voice)
  • Bluetooth (both music and calling)
  • GPS
  • Very minimal force closing, if any

If any of this stuff (or anything else notable) is broken or removed, are there any decent stock-base ROMs for the Bionic?

kwest12

Reaction score
Just an FYI Carbon is no longer being updated for the Bionic.

buellboy9

Reaction score
Update: Last time I took photos with the phone in low light conditions, the flash DID work, so that issue has been resolved.

bpambrose

Reaction score
Blurry-JB_1.0 very stable have had no problems at all. Upgrade to 2.5.1 using the included OTA updater. Have tried most Bionic JB roms available and this Blurry rom tops them all (IMO).

kamisan

Reaction score
Just an FYI Carbon is no longer being updated for the Bionic.

yep no update since 6-30. good rom too. more tweaks and features than anything i have loaded up. not sure why the support dropped off except the age of the bionic. Still waiting for GS4 prices to drop more,, usually 6 months after release they drop ALOT.. GS3 is $49 at a lot of places, my wife got hers for .94 cents.... still like the bionic but bigger better calls,,

kwest12

Reaction score
yep no update since 6-30. good rom too. more tweaks and features than anything i have loaded up. not sure why the support dropped off except the age of the bionic.

Someone elsewhere noted that they had PMed the developer who had been porting it and he said he was done. Apparently he was too busy or he got a new phone. I don't recall exactly what the reasoning was.

deduct

Reaction score
Yeah its a shame. Bionic is solid just outdated for sure. I really enjoy blurry on mine and I have heard that people have had great success with liquidsmooth ROM. I have run the latest liquid on my maxx and it is pretty good. Even has fully functional halo app which is really cool.

Reaction score
Bionic is about at EOL as far as even the users and devs are concerned. Got a bad deal with the Razr being so close on its heels with the better screen etc but I still love mine. Still does everything I want it to, is still quick, the extended battery is going strong etc... When I hear the Galaxy S3/S4 or iCrap guys asking to borrow chargers at work around 2PM and I look at my Bionic with like 70% battery left and no charge at all since it came out of the car at 6:30 AM I chuckle a bit. I'm not even sure if I'll upgrade in March when my wife is due to come off contract. We both still have unlimited and she will want to upgrade via our ghost line and keep the unlimited but I don't see a need for me. Plus when she loses hers that means I have a spare extended battery, spare case and a great working parts phone to keep me going until I can't run the apps I need to anymore.

buellboy9

Reaction score
Au contraire

Now that the Android community has found a way around Motorola's encrypted boot loader I'm more optimistic than ever for my trusty old Bionic. Thanks to the CyanogenMod team, I now have an up-to-date kernel at 4.2.2, complete with security patches Google released, but Motorola/Verizon never rolled out to our devices.

Based on the nightly builds rolling out now, it won't be too much longer till a version of CyanogenMod at the 4.3 kernel level will be out soon, too. Right now they've got RC1 of the final CyanogenMod based on the 4.2.2 kernel available too.

Motorola/Verizon may've forgotten about us, but the developer community has not.

kwest12

Reaction score
All good points about CM, but unfortunately, it seems like fast moving ROMs like that are never truly stable. It's a shame, because I really want something that's optimized, has additional cool features and is without bugs. Seems to me that no such thing exists for the Bionic. :/