Best Droid to use without any cell service

jbsmith

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a droid that I can use without service - obviously I will be buying used.

I am planning on using it for its wifi and gps mainly. I am an outdoor and fitness enthusiast so the apps I'd use would be things for tracking my bike rides, using it as a heart rate monitor, etc - plus general web surfing via wifi.

Assuming all this is possible without activating it with a carrier - which droid would be best suited for this? Cost is a factor, so I am not looking for one of the newer phones, since I would like to keep my cost to 100 or less.

Thanks!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
If you are looking to keep it less then $100 then I would look at getting a Droid 1. Great, durable device and very inexpensive by now.

OP
J

jbsmith

Reaction score
Is there any limitations to going that old? From a software upgradeability perspective possibly?

Will google navigation work on an inactive phone? With cached maps?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
If you root it you can upgrade it to Gingerbread (2.3) and I believe they are working on ICS (4.0) for it but it has a way to come yet. And I am not sure about how Maps would work on it honestly, have not tried it out prior to have knowledge on it.

OP
J

jbsmith

Reaction score
thanks - just did a quick ebay search on droid 1 - looks like they are going for $50ish.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah they are quite inexpensive. Anything else I feel would be over the $100 mark but it would not hurt to look around at maybe the Droid X and Droid 2 as well, not sure what they sell for though.

Insidious

Reaction score
Is say the Droid, Droid X, or Droid incredible 2. If you're not worried about it being specifically with Verizon, other carriers have some pretty good Android phones as well.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I agree on the Droid and Droid X but I feel like the Inc 2 is probably a bit out of the $100 price tag but I could be wrong.

OP
J

jbsmith

Reaction score
i looked at the incredible but not the 2...I had a droid x at one point - should have kept it. Craigslist might be the place to buy from - much cheaper than what ebay is going for.

OP
J

jbsmith

Reaction score
If you're not worried about it being specifically with Verizon, other carriers have some pretty good Android phones as well.

I do want to stay with VZW - I case I do activate it at some point...I'm already on VZW.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
i looked at the incredible but not the 2...I had a droid x at one point - should have kept it. Craigslist might be the place to buy from - much cheaper than what ebay is going for.
Craigs List is definitely a good place to look for deals. Have gotten several from there myself. Since there is the chance that you may activate it at some point be sure to verify the ESN before purchasing it.