Best Droid 1 replacement?

eggsped

Reaction score
I realize this is subjective but what's your opinion and why?

The backlight on my Droid crapped out and though I'm getting a refurb in the mail tomorrow I decided to go look at new phones as my contract is up and here are my findings...

Samsung Fascinate is really nice but I can't stand the VZ app integration
(pretty sure I don't like it)

Droid X pretty nice but seems like it may a little big to carry around and screen doesn't look as good as Droid 2.
(maybe)

Droid incredible just doesn't feel as solid as the Moto's but maybe I'm mistaken.

Droid 2 feels like my beloved Droid only snappier but I like the plain jane android OS and am starting to like MIUI a lot and see much promise in the OS.

If I have as much trouble with the refurb as people on this board appear to have I'm just going to upgrade, the problem is that I think I like my D1 better than any of the currently available phones.

Am I missing something with he newer phones that should make me go "Wow!" when I compare them to the D1?

Thanks

Xerozix

Reaction score
There are no newer phones out that will make you go "wow" in comparison to a LTE phone.

I suggest waiting for an LTE phone, only what, 2 more months until they release LTE?

Even if LTE isn't going to be in your area, it'll eventually reach your area and you won't have to wait those 2 years to get an LTE phone.

OP
E

eggsped

Reaction score
There are no newer phones out that will make you go "wow" in comparison to a LTE phone.

I suggest waiting for an LTE phone, only what, 2 more months until they release LTE?

Even if LTE isn't going to be in your area, it'll eventually reach your area and you won't have to wait those 2 years to get an LTE phone.

Thanks, I've clearly been out of the loop. Being that I don't have phone envy I won't be upgrading until LTE is introduced.

Xerozix

Reaction score

Thanks, I've clearly been out of the loop. Being that I don't have phone envy I won't be upgrading until LTE is introduced.

Haha no problem.

Honestly, the best phone WILL be the Droid 3, which will be LTE :p

illmatic636

Reaction score

Haha no problem.

Honestly, the best phone WILL be the Droid 3, which will be LTE :p

What will be considered the Droid3? That terminator Droid Tegra2? If so, I'm in. That things sure looks sexy!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Best Droid 1 replacement?

I realize this is subjective but what's your opinion and why?
None of the above. They all offer small, incremental improvements over the Droid. For me, I'm not upgrading until a device offers 2+GHz CPU, multiple cores, LTE, etc.

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
Just be aware that with LTE Verizon may introduce the tiered data packages. If your a heavy user then getting an upgrade now may be better. I have the x, but I'm envious of my friends droid at times. Try to avoid locked bootloaders if possible. Thats just my opinion.

OP
E

eggsped

Reaction score
Just be aware that with LTE Verizon may introduce the tiered data packages. If your a heavy user then getting an upgrade now may be better. I have the x, but I'm envious of my friends droid at times. Try to avoid locked bootloaders if possible. Thats just my opinion.

Am I correct in my belief that only the D1 has an unlocked bootloader?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Afaik, once a dx or fascinate gets 2.2 the keys change and you can't flash back to 2.1.
Again this is only what my understanding is.

-Droid Does

demonhawk1313

Reaction score

Am I correct in my belief that only the D1 has an unlocked bootloader?

Not entirely sure, but I believe that the incredible and maybe fascinate are also unlocked. Someone with more knowledge will need to confirm though. HTC is also locking their bootloader in new models. Hopefully smarter people then me can get these things where they should be. If I had a D1 I would flash something like BB, put a low voltage kernel in and wait and hope for Verizon to put out something better. I swear my friends D1 is faster and smoother than my DX at times. I'm rooted on 2.2 leak and running Rubix.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My opinion is, there is no worthy replacement for the Original Droid...yet :wink:

OP
E

eggsped

Reaction score
My opinion is, there is no worthy replacement for the Original Droid...yet :wink:

At this point I'm pretty much in agreement with you. I thought my Droid was toast, looked at replacing it and was finding myself not wanting any of the newer phones. My phone seems to be working OK now so I'm going to forgo any sort of "upgrade" for the foreseeable future. I've learned a lot over the last 5 days. I can now restore a Droid 1 to stock non root without a screen, I like my D1 better than anything else that is available, I can repair a D1, (if you consider banging on the side of it a repair), and I can re-root a D1 pretty quickly now, though I would have been happier to have never learned this. Oh, and I learned VZ's refurb D1's really are POS'es.

borge12

Reaction score
After just recently upgrading from a D1 to a DX, I am REALLY liking my DX. The size and feel of it are better. Blur and the locked parts make me sad, but I never rooted my original D1, so I wasn't too sad. Now that I'm running LauncherPro, I don't see much Blur anymore, to which I am very thankful.