Best D2G app for GPS outside US

coppermouse

Reaction score
Best D2G app for GPS outside US. Must have turn by turn and all maps on phone, don't want to use data loading maps

silver6054

Reaction score
Best D2G app for GPS outside US. Must have turn by turn and all maps on phone, don't want to use data loading maps
Somewhat depends where you are(or going to be). There are a lot of regional apps out there.

Is the problem with downloading data because you are using the Verizon SIM? Again, depending where you are, there are a lot of cheap local SIMs that make downloading OK.

OP
C

coppermouse

Reaction score
Well yes one reason is that I am on Verizon SIM. I was told you cannot put a different SIM, is it possible, mine is rooted.

But anther reason is remote arears without such good coverage.

So most important is Europe specifically Poland

Next South America

Then Australia

Middle east, Africa, and Asia.

Thanks

silver6054

Reaction score
Well yes one reason is that I am on Verizon SIM. I was told you cannot put a different SIM, is it possible, mine is rooted.

But anther reason is remote arears without such good coverage.

So most important is Europe specifically Poland

Next South America

Then Australia

Middle east, Africa, and Asia.

Thanks

Just on the SIM question, yes, it is certainly possible to use other SIMs, you just need Verizon to unlock your phone. Basically, once the unlimited international plan went away, unless someone else is paying, you don't want to use the Vodafone SIM for any length of time!

Sygic, https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sygic.aura&feature=search_result, gets some good reviews and covers many of your countries, but I haven't used it myself

OP
C

coppermouse

Reaction score
Yes I learned the hard way about data charges. I did not know google maps pulled all the maps form the net and installed a version that ran outside the US and had a big bill when I got bck, So I will check into another SIM nexy trip. Thanks for the info. Now if I could only figure out what happened to my calander or how to get it back, I can't find it on the market.

OP
C

coppermouse

Reaction score
Sygic's maps must each be purchased separate and can add up.

jenli

Reaction score
I tried copilot, both North America and Europe.
Not too bad, but the interface is not optimal
for smart phone. May be the new version is
better, but didn't upgrade yet.

leobg

Reaction score
I use Navigon, not too bad, gets the job done. Used Motonav before too, far from perfect but also gets the job done.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk