Best cheap Android phone for travel internationally?

zerodamage

Reaction score
My wife is traveling to Italy in a couple of weeks and I think it would be best if she left her Verizon iPhone 4s behind and or at least take a GSM unlocked phone with her when she goes. I am trying to decide on what Android based phone that she should take with her that is unlocked and compatible with the prepaid service providers in Italy.

I would like to keep the cost of the phone under a $100 or close to $100 if I have to go over. I want the phone to be able to do the basic Facebook stuff and what not but doesn't have to be anything special. I am also hoping that my wife will like the phone enough to ditch the iPhone next year when her contract is up and I can get her something like my Nexus now where I am only paying $45 a month now for StraightTalk versus her $100+ a month for the same service.

Anyway, any recommendations and even links if anyone has experience with a particular phone. I'd hate to get her a pos and she be pissed and hate Android forever. The Dell Aero looks like it might work but I think that is only Android 1.5 if I read right.

Let me add that this doesn't have to be an Android phone. That would just be my preferred choice.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's an older phone, but the Droid 2 Global can be found pretty cheap on craigslist and other sites such as Swappa. If she's used to iOS you can probably pick up an older 3gs for travel, they go for pretty cheap now.

OP
Z

zerodamage

Reaction score
It's an older phone, but the Droid 2 Global can be found pretty cheap on craigslist and other sites such as Swappa. If she's used to iOS you can probably pick up an older 3gs for travel, they go for pretty cheap now.

Appreciate the Swappa site and the recommendations. Unfortunately the Swappa site will NOT let me log in. There is no button anywhere to log in with Facebook so that is pretty much a no-go. I will look around some more though.