Best car dock for GNex with otterbox Defender case??

mleber

Reaction score
This has to be the coolest mount I have ever seen!

I know! So simple, should have thought of it myself! Anyway, it's still working out well...now if only my RAZR started working out well...

tek112

Reaction score
I know! So simple, should have thought of it myself! Anyway, it's still working out well...now if only my RAZR started working out well...

Now I just need to figure out how to buy the darn thing. Amazon is sold out and the company's website just returns an error trying to add it to the cart.

I read that they will be releasing a few every morning, but checked amazon at 7AM EST and there was nothing... I am eagerly awaiting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tek112

Reaction score
Just a heads up, amazon has the mountek back in stock. Only 20 left for todays batch.

mleber

Reaction score
Now I just need to figure out how to buy the darn thing. Amazon is sold out and the company's website just returns an error trying to add it to the cart.

I read that they will be releasing a few every morning, but checked amazon at 7AM EST and there was nothing... I am eagerly awaiting.

Wow, this post must have made them very popular! ;-) Hope you are happy with your purchase, looks like you were able to order!

tek112

Reaction score
Wow, this post must have made them very popular! ;-) Hope you are happy with your purchase, looks like you were able to order!

Oops. Yeah, sorry. I was able to order. :)

Nealius

Reaction score
Just ordered the mountek also.
I'll figure out the headphone jack when I get it.

tek112

Reaction score
Just ordered the mountek also.
I'll figure out the headphone jack when I get it.

I looked at the pictures on the website and I saw a customer picture of the galaxy nexus. The charging port and headphone jack appear to be unobstructed.

Nealius

Reaction score
the charging port looks fine, but the jack looks like it might be close. the image may have just made it look that way.
Im sure it will work out tho. and its better than tossing the nexus on the seat next to me

tek112

Reaction score
the charging port looks fine, but the jack looks like it might be close. the image may have just made it look that way.
Im sure it will work out tho. and its better than tossing the nexus on the seat next to me

Remember, if you plan to mount horizontally the bottom piece comes off. Here is hoping both of ours works!

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
I would love a follow up, if anybody has received them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Hey all,

Living in Long Island and only having the option of classic rock stations which play good songs 20% of the time vs. top 40 stations which play something good 0% of the time, I'm in desperate need of some google music. I wish there was a car dock similar to the one motorola dropped for the OG droid, but I haven't found anything.

I need something that will fit the gnex + the thickness of the otterbox defender case the dimensions height x width x thickness are as follows 5.67 in x 3.07 in x 0.77 in (144.0 mm x 78.0 mm x 19.6 mm for our non-US friends). The dock will be mounted above my cd deck (I have a flat vertical area that has a plastic disc stuck to it for suctioning). I'm looking for something that is sturdy and will lock into place - once it's in, it's not moving. My ideal dock would have ports for the 1/8" jack and charger, though this is not imperative.

I have perused the proclip and am interested, but unsure if it's worth the money. Anyone out there want to share their experiences with these mounts?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out!

PS - if this helps, car dock is for a 2006 Ford Mustang GT

You really cannot compare the two mounts. The Exomount is just a plain jane mount and the one from Proclip is part of a permanent install solution (need 2 parts; one for car and one for phone). Personally; I've used Pro-Clip for years and the items they make/sell are rock solid. Yeah, they are a tad pricey but, worth every cent they charge.

tek112

Reaction score
I ended up getting the mountek early. Just a heads up that it does not fit the 2008/2009/2010 Subaru WRX.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Hands-down the best mount for a phone in a car is RAM. It's expensive, but it's the last mount you'll ever buy. Lifetime guarantee - not that you'll need to use it - they won't break! They use a modular design in 3 parts:

The Cradle - the part that holds your device. They've got dozens of different kinds to hold everything from a cell phone, pda, radios, gps, fishing rods, cup holders, and even laptops. I have the "Finger Grips" - it's reconfigurable for different devices and holds very well.

View attachment 46769View attachment 46770View attachment 46771

A newer/better cradle is the X-Grip: Universal RAM X-Grip™ Holder & Mounts

The Arm - The cradle and mount both have a ball on them. The arm has a socket on each end and can be tightened. Both the balls and the arm are coated metal, so you can REALLY wrench down on it and secure it. No more drooping windshield mount!

The Mount - Many many many different mount options. You can get the traditional windshield mount, a vent-mount, handlebar mount, flat surface mount, or one of many vehicle-specific mounts. I opted to use a flat mount and just screw it directly into the dashboard. I was sick of windshield mounts that fall of the window when it gets hot or cold. This mount is ROCK SOLID now.

I don't have a photo with my phone up on the dash handy, but here's what the mount looks like with my old-school TomTom:

View attachment 46772