Best Buy Gets 'Cold Feet' Over Asus Transformer/iPad Duct Tape Ad

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus-ipad-ducttape-yanked.png

Yesterday we shared a funny Best Buy ad pitting the coming ASUS Eee Pad Transformer up against a 'duct taped' iPad lookalike. It appears that someone at Best Buy got nervous about upsetting Apple and pulled the promo already. Previously the promo was a "Like That. But Better." webpage here. Now, it's just a "page not found" placeholder. It sorta makes sense that Best Buy might yank the ad, since they are one of the few places outside of an Apple store where you can actually buy an iPad. Still, it makes you wonder how the ad was put up to begin with. There are no reports that Apple complained, so it's entirely possible that they wouldn't have cared and Best Buy just jumped the gun.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's just an ad, I don't see why it would have to be taken down.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Screw Apple, no balls for a good market ad.

So sad, but again I don't frequent Bb for anything anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I can see ASUS running that ad themselves. But for Best Buy to put down a huge product they are selling in their stores like that is a big mistake on their part. I might not like Apple and the iWhateverTheSheepleAreBuyingBecauseItsTheLatestTrent but still not a good move on Best Buy to have done this ad to begin with.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ I agree.

Its in Best Buy's best interest to not have the ad. makes you wonder how many ppl loyal to Apple would get offended and take their business elsewhere...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ I agree.

Its in Best Buy's best interest to not have the ad. makes you wonder how many ppl loyal to Apple would get offended and take their business elsewhere...
I'm pretty loyal to Apple on the computer side of things and I thought this was pretty good. But I do completely understand why Best Buy would yank it from their ad campaign.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Besides, Apple is very protective of her fruit.

:)

GT944

Reaction score
Total agreement - don't piss off the sheperd of the sheeple! I doubt bestbuy makes much margin on iStuff but the market access is huge value

- Greg -
Sent from my ADR6300

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Besides, Apple is very protective of her fruit.

:)
Tis very true, I was trying to think of an equivalent to "you mess with the bull, you get the horns" But all I could think of was "you mess with the Apple, you get the seeds". Haha that doesn't sound very tough.

GT944

Reaction score
I am excited to see an Asus tab, though - never had their pc's, but I love their motherboards.

- Greg -
Sent from my ADR6300

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Asus may not make the most quality product out but for their price point I have always been tempted to buy their stuff. Like I said for comps I only own Mac's but this tab intrigues me more than even the Xoom. The price obviously being one of the biggest factors.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ASUS makes amazing MB's and I'm saddened to hear you speak such foolishness! :)

I've had a K8V-SE Deluxe for 8 years. Thousands of hours of uptime.

Still use it as my main box!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
ASUS makes amazing MB's and I'm saddened to hear you speak such foolishness! :)

I've had a K8V-SE Deluxe for 8 years. Thousands of hours of uptime.

Still use it as my main box!

Hey now I said "may not" not "does not", haha. I should have been more specific. I meant their PC's and laptops and monitors, stuff like that. Definitely not saying they are bad, in fact for their price they are awesome. But compared to a Macbook Pro or a high end PC they don't stack up well. But spending hundreds less stacks up extremely well for most people. For the price you pay for an Asus machine, there is nothing to complain about.