Before I install a rom...

phoenixus

Reaction score
I have a few questions before I install a rom. I'm thinking of doing either fission or apex.

1. Will there be any isssues with me downloading apps from the market?

2. I am curently rooted and have removed some bloatware by renaming apps. Should I rename them back before preceeding?

3. Is rsdlite neccessary at this point? Or do I only use that if I need to flash back to stock?

4. Will I need to do anything special to get back on the verizon network?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Dustin.

Reaction score
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No

However I would advise you go into Clockwork Mod and make a Nandroid backup before you go flashing ROMs.

You'll only need to put the bloatware back on if you decide to you want to get an OTA from Big Red.

RSD Lite is there in case you brick your phone or you need to get back to Stock 2.2 and can't get into Clockwork Mod.

Rooting does not effect the signal and or makret, it only allows you modify your phone and your file system. And make changes to the Android System.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my DROID X.

OP
P

phoenixus

Reaction score
Excellent.

Are there any roms that will allow me to keep sywpe?

Also, by getting back on verizons network, I was referring to after the new ROM is applied. I assume that completely wipes the information from the phone...is it as simple as dialing *228?

Also, If next year VZW releases gingerbread for the phone and I want to go back to stock, I can just apply the backup I am going to make before I flash to a rom and then I can download the OTA right?

Although I assume after I re-apply my backup, I'll need to add the bloatware back in first.

OP
P

phoenixus

Reaction score
One more thing I forgot, I renamed some bloatware apps that were listed as safe from this forum.

Do I need to rename those back before doing any factory reset? I just read that if some apps are missing and you do a factory reset it really messes up your phone.

Dustin.

Reaction score
One more thing I forgot, I renamed some bloatware apps that were listed as safe from this forum.

Do I need to rename those back before doing any factory reset? I just read that if some apps are missing and you do a factory reset it really messes up your phone.

Yes, that would be a wise road to go down before going down the dark road of a factory reset. :p

And most ROMs support Swype, but if they don't come preinstalled then you can find an update.zip file, (I have one if you want) and you just install it through Clockwork Mod.

And no you shouldn't have to do *228 if you are just installing a ROM, although most ROMs require a data/cache wipe before installing, and Fission is the only ROM i know that requires a factory reset within the Android system then you would have to *228 if you did a factory reset within Android.