Battery Voltage...

asperber

Reaction score
I recently flashed the Unl3ash3d rom on my bionic, and wasn't too happy with it, so i used the FXZ file to bring it back to stock. I let it charge completely, but when i checked the battery voltage (when the phone said it was at 100%) it was 4009 mv. SHould'nt the battery voltage be ~4200 mv when it's fully charged? Do i need to do a calibration?

don_droid

Reaction score
I recently flashed the Unl3ash3d rom on my bionic, and wasn't too happy with it, so i used the FXZ file to bring it back to stock. I let it charge completely, but when i checked the battery voltage (when the phone said it was at 100%) it was 4009 mv. SHould'nt the battery voltage be ~4200 mv when it's fully charged? Do i need to do a calibration?

The sensor chips that measure voltage are not perfect. Maybe you need to recalibrate, or your battery could have lost some capability. Li Ion batteries can loose function if you bring their voltage too low, so never deep cycle them like you did with the older types. Plus, they loose capability with age and total number of charge-discharge cycles, so very hard to tell you what happened here.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
The sensor chips that measure voltage are not perfect. Maybe you need to recalibrate, or your battery could have lost some capability. Li Ion batteries can loose function if you bring their voltage too low, so never deep cycle them like you did with the older types. Plus, they loose capability with age and total number of charge-discharge cycles, so very hard to tell you what happened here.

Unless u use another means of "deep cycling" your battery you will never be able to bring the voltage of the Li Ion battery down to a low enough voltage to damage the battery using just the phone. Cycling the battery in the phone is perfectly safe as the phone will shut itself down well before the danger level for a Li Ion battery. The only thing to be careful of is if you use multiple batteries in your phone and you store your spare batteries for a long period of time (3+ months). To store an Li Ion battery it should be at a 60% charge and stored in the refrigerator.

I use this method for all my batteries for my R/C helicopters and planes.

Also an Li Ion battery usually starts losing capacity around the 1 year mark or 1000 charge cycles. Whichever comes first. Regular cycling of the Li Ion battery helps prolong the life during regular use.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

Infiniti87

Reaction score

I just charged my bionic and it was off the charger for 2-3 mins when I checked the battery stats and I was at 4299mv. Just for reference.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.