Battery Pulls Like My Blackberry

littlkj5

Reaction score
I use to have a Storm so I had to do a hard reset (battery pull) every day to have it run faster. For some reason my X is now doing that too. It keeps freezing up. Is this a common issue with anyone else or is it just my phone?

I am running 2.2, launcherpro(plus), and handcent. Not rooted.

jaben2

Reaction score
I came from the blackberry world too.
I haven't had any issues as you though. I would think if it is happening a lot I would have some one look at it.
Or other option is a factory reset.

xliderider

Reaction score
The Android OS is very much like your computer. It isn't good to do hard resets on it (AKA battery pulls) because you are creating orphaned files every time you do it. Files that were in use by the OS, especially Temp files are left there in your device memory.

A better alternative is to do a power cycle (Off then On) to reset your device. The only time a battery pull is required on an Android device is if the device becomes totally unresponsive and can't be shut down normally.

A corrupted memory card can cause lagging and freezing like you describe. Take the memory card out to test, or put a spare card in, if you have one. If the lagging and freezing goes away, then you most likely have a corrupted file/filesystem on your card. Then you would need to backup your contents from your card to your computer, then reformat the card in the device. After the format, move only essential files and folders back to the card, then move files/folders back in small groups and test till all your files are back, or you find a bad file.

If the power cycle doesn't work, and it isn't your meory card, then I also suggest doing a Factory Data Reset as mentioned above.

OP
L

littlkj5

Reaction score
The Android OS is very much like your computer. It isn't good to do hard resets on it (AKA battery pulls) because you are creating orphaned files every time you do it. Files that were in use by the OS, especially Temp files are left there in your device memory.

A better alternative is to do a power cycle (Off then On) to reset your device. The only time a battery pull is required on an Android device is if the device becomes totally unresponsive and can't be shut down normally.

A corrupted memory card can cause lagging and freezing like you describe. Take the memory card out to test, or put a spare card in, if you have one. If the lagging and freezing goes away, then you most likely have a corrupted file/filesystem on your card. Then you would need to backup your contents from your card to your computer, then reformat the card in the device. After the format, move only essential files and folders back to the card, then move files/folders back in small groups and test till all your files are back, or you find a bad file.

If the power cycle doesn't work, and it isn't your meory card, then I also suggest doing a Factory Data Reset as mentioned above.

Well I only pull the battery out when it is unresponsive (which is about every day or every other day). The phone gets stuck one one screen so i press the lock button to turn the screen off, nothing happens, so then I hold to shut it down, nothing happens, then I have to pull the battery.

I think it could be a problem with handcent. It has been doing it more since I just downloaded handcent two weeks ago. I may have to eliminate handcent to see if that is the problem.

I know it isn't the memory card.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a cache cleaner? There are a few (free) in the market.

zonaRSX

Reaction score

Well I only pull the battery out when it is unresponsive (which is about every day or every other day). The phone gets stuck one one screen so i press the lock button to turn the screen off, nothing happens, so then I hold to shut it down, nothing happens, then I have to pull the battery.

I think it could be a problem with handcent. It has been doing it more since I just downloaded handcent two weeks ago. I may have to eliminate handcent to see if that is the problem.

I know it isn't the memory card.

Hmmm I have handcent and haven't had any issues with freezing or whatever. But today I did have to go into the Verizon store and get the SD card replaced because the old one became corrupted somehow and was not being read by my droid x and could not be formatted. Hopefully handcent wasn't the cause since I have been using it for a couple weeks now... Interesting you mention that, has me thinking... Let us know what you decide to do and if it fixes anything!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use to have a Storm so I had to do a hard reset (battery pull) every day to have it run faster. For some reason my X is now doing that too. It keeps freezing up. Is this a common issue with anyone else or is it just my phone?

I am running 2.2, launcherpro(plus), and handcent. Not rooted.

Most of the time a simple reset, not a battery pull will fix this issue. Droid really doesn't require battery pulls like a Storm, I had both the Storm 1 and 2 so I know what you're saying

Cache cleaner as mentioned is also a good idea from time to time.

One of the things I noticed is if you have a lot of windows open on your browser then you should close them. That will speed it up as well.

Reaction score
I had a simalar issue with my X. I did a factory reset and it has worked fine ever sense.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

the5barrons

Reaction score
You have to be rooted to use it, but Quick Boot is a free app in the market that lets you do a reboot without pulling the battery...and it's fast. The reboot is quicker than the standard POST and load. It does the same thing that QuickPull does for the BB Storm I/II. QB also lets you boot into recovery and bootloader.