Battery Life

gsuslikesme

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I absolutely love my Droid 3...except for the battery life. I have to charge it up by the middle of the day with moderate use. I just rooted and deleted/froze the bloatware, hoping that would help...but alas, no help. Does anyone know of battery tweaks I can perform? I have heard of some users getting a couple of days on 1 charge...is that you? Can you help???

-Drained

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem even with an extended battery. I'd get 8-12hours of use. Then I applied that "leaked" OTA update and it lasts two days easy. There was a log of bugs with the stock Droid 3 that a lot of people had. So either get the leaked updated, or the real one will likely do the same. However, no idea when that comes out.

ModLife

Reaction score
I run a full day on one charge with mine:blackdroid:....i am ALWAYS running wifi to keep my data use down and checkin emails and callin my family....i go to settings, apps, running apps, and force close a bunch that seem to WANT to run incessantly though:soapbox:....here it is 11:02pm pulled phone off charge at 7am and still have half battery bar left(been a light day for the phone though)

Kickbut101

Reaction score
I don't have the leaked update or anything but I have "tasker" which I use to make a widget to turn 3G off, and with it off I can get easily 2-3 days of battery with calls and txt and whatnot, I also used TB to freeze all the bloatware, but I doubt that is helping too much.

Kickbut101

Reaction score
quick settings? I've never heard of it, I'm assuming its an app in the market? I only mention tasker because it can do pretty much anything and thats the kind of control I wanted over my phone, even before root.

Mugen

Reaction score
Check your settings in your phone, theres a few options u can turn off or on to conserve battery life. I have the extended battery and i took my phone off charge 3 am and ill still have plenty of battery to spare when i get home from work at about 6pm. Data saver, brightness etc. Theres plenty of resources out there. All you have to do is search it =) if u have a problem. Most likely someone else in the world has the same issue and has tried searching for an answer.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

javipoo

Reaction score
I easily get a full day from mine, no extended battery/bells/whistles. I always plug it in at night.
I was using hotspot for around 3 hours and noticed a 40% reduction, but on a normal day with about an hour of slacker streaming music, calls, emails, and vids I can go a whole day without a low battery message.

REMilk

Reaction score
I see that over the course of 2 weeks, my battery life has improved. I got the entire day out of it out of a full charge. (NOTE: I was on USB tethering for 2 hours, and there was no increase in battery life during this period.)

The following details how my Droid 3 was used during the day.

1. On 3G, tethered laptop via USB tethered for 2+ hours uploading and downloading email and attachments. I use "Tiny Battery Widget" that shows % remaining by 1 % increments. I did not gain or lose % remaining during the tethering period.

2. On 3G, spent about 1/2 hour accessing corporate emails and calendar using Touchdown

3. On wifi, web surfed, Gmail, other email, downloaded 3 books (OverDrive Media center) updates, 3 new apps, game emulators and game roms. About an hour.

4. Spent 2 hours reading eBooks

5. On wifi, spent 3.5 hours watching Monday Night Football (NFL app)

6. Made or received 8 phone calls - 20 minutes (oh this is what a phone is suppose to be used for)

7. Basically idle the remainder of the day

I will give the Droid 3 a good test in a couple of weeks when I fly cross-country.

I am not disappointed in the battery life. And fortunately, I can usually charge it somewhere, auto, airport, home, laptop, etc.

Bob

javipoo

Reaction score
Very detailed break down. I usually have a USB cable charging mine at work. wonder when solar power will charge our phones.

CLShade

Reaction score
I underclock mine since I'm not yet willing to pull the trigger on the leaked update. I don't have any concrete measurements of how much my battery life has increased but I no longer worry about running out of charge before I get home. That said, I still can't use it as heavily as I did my D1 but it is better than it was.

Here's my list of power saving tweaks:

1) Freeze bloatware
2) Underclock to 800mhz using SetCPU
3) Use SetCPU profiles to force 300mhz when the screen is off
4) Screebl app keeps screen on when I'm using it and kills it when I put the phone down
- Have to be careful to manually shut off screen before putting phone in pocket, though...
5) Tasker auto-starts GPS when I launch apps that use it then kills it when those apps close

I grabbed a generic extended battery (1800mAh, I think) that fits under the standard back for the most part. Better, but still thinking I'll pick up a moto battery with the larger back.

Meh. Battery life is still the biggest problem with the D3 but these things have made it bearable for days spent away from power.

pistacio

Reaction score
Your D3 has been stable with the underclock!? I tried 800 on mine ( overclock widget) and it just about self destructed...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I spotted a battery calibration method in the new Android magazine, just tried it, see if it works, but here are the steps:
1.Plug into charger, let charge fully
2.Disconnect, turn off, then reconnect charger til you see 100% batt icon
3.Disconnect, turn phone back on, then turn off.
4.Reconnect Charger wait for 100% icon, disconnect charger and power up phone.
5.*Optional* Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around, lol

This is a calibration method that I came across, it may work, it may not. I did it, so if I notice a massive positive improvement I will post back, but up to you guys if you wanna try it now.

ModLife

Reaction score
off topic how i get this magazine what is their web address to sign up???

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I spotted a battery calibration method in the new Android magazine, just tried it, see if it works, but here are the steps:
1.Plug into charger, let charge fully
2.Disconnect, turn off, then reconnect charger til you see 100% batt icon
3.Disconnect, turn phone back on, then turn off.
4.Reconnect Charger wait for 100% icon, disconnect charger and power up phone.
5.*Optional* Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around, lol

This is a calibration method that I came across, it may work, it may not. I did it, so if I notice a massive positive improvement I will post back, but up to you guys if you wanna try it now.
I saw this on Droid-Life. Did that.. but don't know if I've noticed anything different. Either way, my battery lifes been great after the OTA update.