Battery life experiment

Deron

Reaction score
Been thinking about this for a while and I might be willing to attempt a few battery tests on my Droid X and Droid Razr (when I get it).

When reading reviews on line, you often see comments about phone battery life. These are pretty much subjective terms and experiences. What is one man's long battery life is another man's short battery life. Also, when people first get a smart phone they usually play with it a lot that first week, so first impressions are not always indicative of battery life for "normal " use. Any smart phone is gonna run its batteries down when you are constantly changing settings and apps.

So this is an attempt to provide some sort of objective comparison and measurement of battery life. Basically, I wanna know how the new generation of Droid compares to the previous. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

roboblazer

Reaction score
I certainly agree with that assessment. I was constantly tinkering for the first 3-4 weeks. However, there's also an adjustment curve with the charging ritual. I was used to going days (not hours) between plug-ins. Furthermore, I'm more at ease since I bought a second battery and external charger. I kind of stinks to have to go to those extremes, but considering what these things are capable of, its a wonder they last as long as they do.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Deron

Deron

Reaction score
The battery life issue might be even more important for some people than previous Motorola Droid models since the Razr has an unremovable battery, thus no option for an extended battery or extra one.

roboblazer

Reaction score
I heard about the battery situation with the Razr. Hope that the sleek design choice outweighs the functionality factor. Especially with the 4G which has been noted to be power intensive. Let's face it- electric storage has been a giant hurtle years. The demand we put on this industry can only intensify the innovation. I'm sure great strides are abound.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Deron

Deron

Reaction score
Trying to finish up my battery life tests on my Droid X since I preordered the Droid Razr and once I switch over I won't be able to use the Droid X.

By far, the biggest drain on the battery has been watching Netflix via 3g connection. That drains my fully charged Droid X in 2.5 hours, faster than Angry Birds. The slowest battery drain has been phone calls. My tests are showing that my Droid X can make a 10 hour call on a full charge, although I realize the absurdity of such a long call.

OP
Deron

Deron

Reaction score
Exactly. I am not sure they can get 6 hrs of Netflix on that phone using the 4g network. Thanks for the link.

Well, I'll post my results when I can. I'll be doing apples-to-apples comparisons (to the best of my abilities). I write down the basic settings such as screen brightness, 3g verses wifi, and volume so I can replicate it with the other device.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Exactly. I am not sure they can get 6 hrs of Netflix on that phone using the 4g network. Thanks for the link.

Well, I'll post my results when I can. I'll be doing apples-to-apples comparisons (to the best of my abilities). I write down the basic settings such as screen brightness, 3g verses wifi, and volume so I can replicate it with the other device.

I would believe it if that was 6 hours while using LTE. Why?
- RAZR has more efficient screen (right?)
- LTE is so fast that the movie can download much more quickly. The X would be churning away nonstop downloading that data. The RAZR can get the job done and, theoretically, chill out. (right?)

I'm curious to see your results!!!

OP
Deron

Deron

Reaction score
I would believe it if that was 6 hours while using LTE. Why?
- RAZR has more efficient screen (right?)
- LTE is so fast that the movie can download much more quickly. The X would be churning away nonstop downloading that data. The RAZR can get the job done and, theoretically, chill out. (right?)

I'm curious to see your results!!!

Interesting theory. I will need to also test if there is a difference in battery life of Droid Razr using 4g verses 3g to watch Netflix. (I assume there will be some sort of toggle widgit to force Razr to only use the 3g network in an area that has a 4g signal.)

My girlfriend keeps asking me what the hell I'm doing writing down all these times and battery percentages and why I'm using the GPS navigator to drive to my own house. "Did you forget where your house is? " I told her I was working on a secret government grant ... she didn't think it was funny. Good thing I didn't tell her I Bogarted her land line for 6 hours on Sunday to test the Droid X's battery life during a call. Had to do it on a weekend or evening so it wouldn't run up my anytime minutes.