battery just doesnt last why????

art442

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a droid 2 with the 2.2 os. I am having a hard time making my battery last more than 6 hours. I had a atk with auto kill and come to find out thats not really needed so i uninstall it. this is what my battery display is saying it doesnt make sence to me but it may to you guys take a look and let me know. Also im a newbie so the phone isnt rooted or anythign else done yet. This is what the battery says

volts: 4000mv
temp: 84.2f
total life 10h 25min
life remaining:8h 20 min
display: 29%
android system:26%
com.motorole.home:13%
android os:12%
motorola services:5%
bootanimation:4%
com.motorola.providers.com:3%
com.android.phone:3%
android.process.acore:2%
mediaserver:2%

once again any help would be great thanks again Art

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's a list I've compiled over the past 6-8 months. Hope something on it will help you. It is not specifically for the D2, but most should apply:

Battery Life

Here's my tips:

1. (Doesn’t apply to all phones) Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.

2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts. Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. It will always be no less frequent than every five minutes. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop!

4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.

5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.

6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.

7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.

8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).

9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.

10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.

11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.

12. Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. Helps with accuracy of battery meter.

13. D2G - go in to settings, wireless and networks, mobile network and change the network type from global to CDMA only. The d2g is locked out from using the local GSM networks in the US. You don't need global radio turned on in the US just overseas.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Bayouflyfhisher,
On D1 if you have a other email set up ie. with comcast.net, once set up for GMAIL to check and forward I guess you delete the comcast email from your D1 ?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Bayouflyfhisher,
On D1 if you have a other email set up ie. with comcast.net, once set up for GMAIL to check and forward I guess you delete the comcast email from your D1 ?

I did. You can also go to which ever email app you were using for the comcast (native, K-9, etc.) and simply set it to a polling frequency of "Never". But, like I said, I deleted my pop3 account (cox.net) from K-9 and then never had to worry about it again. If I ever change my mind and go back to using K-9, I'll simply add the account back to the app then.

I've been using Gmail for all my email for about 6-8 months now and am still very pleased. I am sure it helped my battery usage a lot because I had a polling frequency of every 15 minutes (I have business emails that I need quickly). That consumes a lot of battery to fire up the email app every 15 minutes and go check for emails. Now my emails are pushed to the phone only when I receive one. And of course they are still on the Cox.net server so I can download them to the PC when I get home.

One note with using the Gmail app is that about once a month or so I notice that it stops updating. To fix it I go to one of my home screens/Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/Running/Gmail/Clear Data. The Gmail app will re-sync itself in about 2-5 minutes and all will be well again. Actually this may only happen about once every two months, but it does happen.

Good luck.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Okay thanks for the tips, Right now waiting for GMAIL to be able to hookup with my account, I am getting a error saying unable to connect. The Help center says to keep trying a little later, if still unable contact them. Will give it a try, email accounts are a easy setup with these phones. // like your screen name love to try it sometime!

sandfreak

Reaction score
Yes thanks for the tips, i'm going to try a few of these out.

I have a question about the battery stats. I've heard the way to do this is to delete the battery stats, reboot, run battery dead, then fully charge to 100%.

The way I interpreted your tip was to just fully charge and then delete the stats.

I've been doing it the previous way but I'd like to save a lot of time and just do it your way. Does it matter which way it's done?