Battery issues

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Here's what I'm showing as of right now.. But I'm running kit kat..so I'll be slightly different...

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

mcraeh

Reaction score
No problem..I suspect it will show the kernel as your battery vampire..

Try going into settings, storage, tap cache and select clear...this could help..I'm thinking doing it through the recovery menu would yield better results...get back to us..we'll walk ya through it.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Thanks for the help... sorry for the dumb questions, but what is the "recovery menu"? Also, I went into the storage under settings, but I didn't see an option for cache or anything to clear it. Finally, how do people post those screenshots from their phones? :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Screen shot, push power and vol down at the same time..you'll hear it..

On the case..it says cached data on my device but again I'm on kit kat. It may be different..

The recovery menu is for several things..you can use it to clear the phones cache, download stored updates and other things.. I wouldn't recommend messing with that right this second.. :)

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey 94lt1, don't forget he's on the Droid RAZR MAXX, not the Droid Ultra/MAXX as you and I are.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It did elude me ..good eye lol

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

mcraeh

Reaction score
Well, I learned a new trick! So I downloaded gsam and I looked at it this morning. It is also saying the number one battery hog is Kernel (Android OS). So if that is the case, what can I do about it? It is really odd that it seems to discharge the battery faster later in the day also. Yesterday I had 60% of the battery at 3pm, but by 6pm, it was down to 35. I am on Android version 4.1.2, and it is a Razr MAXX that I got almost a year and a half ago.

View attachment 69105

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Look at the second "sticky" thread (right at the top) in this forum titled "Clearing you Cache". It will walk you through the process of clearing it through the recovery menu. Sometimes pushing the buttons exactly at the same time can be tricky, just keep trying until the menu comes up. It's not that hard. If I can do it, anyone can. I have used an app called Clean Master in the past, but I don't think it did nearly as good of a job as doing it through the recovery menu. Hopefully this will help.

BTW, make sure you select Clear Cache, not Reset unless you really want to do a FDR. Start with clearing the cache first.

Last edited:

mcraeh

Reaction score
Yes, I was coming back to report that I did go through that thread yesterday and cleared the cache, along with downloading and running the "App Cache Cleaner". And wow, that certainly did help with the sluggishness I had been seeing. So I guess I'll have to give it a couple of days now to see if the battery life gets any better.

Thanks!

morcguy

Reaction score
Yes, I was coming back to report that I did go through that thread yesterday and cleared the cache, along with downloading and running the "App Cache Cleaner". And wow, that certainly did help with the sluggishness I had been seeing. So I guess I'll have to give it a couple of days now to see if the battery life gets any better.

Thanks!

I did this a few days ago, and saw same results but seems to be slowing again already.

Jeff

mcraeh

Reaction score
Same here, I thought it was lots better at first, but today it has been slow again. Also, the battery is still draining faster than normal it seems. Friday I couldn't get through the day without charging it. I was down to 10% by 6pm. Number one battery user according to gsam was Kernel. Anything else I can try?

GotnFX

Reaction score
A software update is being pushed out. I am not sure if this maybe the culprit. Usually, my phone needs a break in period when updates are pushed.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/system_update/droid_razr.html

Another thing to check is system settings--more--mobile network-network mode. Set to LTE/CDMA if not already. I remember reading in earlier threads about global mode is a battery drainer.

mcraeh

Reaction score
I saw that, but I don't think it has been pushed to mine yet. I went to the "software updates" and then it told me I had one ready to be downloaded. I didn't do it, I don't want to make things worse and I saw the other thread about people having this same issue after getting that update.

Oh, and I double checked, but the phone is definitely set to LTE/CDMA, always has been. I did that first thing when I got it.

morcguy

Reaction score
I was apparently on global mode so I switched to LTE. Too soon to tell if a battery impact.

Jeff