Battery gets hot

dsealer

Reaction score
At times the battery in my droid charge gets very hot. What causes that?
Thanks,
Don...........

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
does it get hot when you don't use it?

extended use, such as playing a game or watching a video will make it get hot quite quickly. If it's just sitting there on standby or in your pocket getting hot, might want to check what apps you got running in the background.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I sure hope it doesnt get hot when your not using it. Also good questions Dezy. Ill be here to try and help out

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Charging it can warm it up especially if you use it at the same time. My phone usually hits it's highest temperatures when I am in my car, it is charging, all while it is navigating or streaming audio.

If it is in a case that can also increase the temperatures slightly.

But if it is on standby not supposed to be doing much of anything, then that is odd.

OP
D

dsealer

Reaction score
Most times it gets hot when I'm at work and not using it. Usually when it's in my pocket. I can feel the heat against my leg. Also battery life goes down quickly when I'm at work.
I've always had poor connection abilities at work. The Charge has better reception but gets hot. Could this have something to do with searching for a signal or something?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have a program manager? that way you can see which apps or processes are taking up the most CPU causing the heat. I dont think searching for signal will create that much heat as i live near a couple dead zones and when my D2 searches it doesnt really have a noticeable difference in heat

AileenFlannigan

Reaction score
To a point it's ok for a phone to get warm while in use but never so hot you can't hold it.
The heat is a result of the chemical action of drawing power from the battery and it's normal
to warm the battery. When the battery get's hot then something is either way wrong with the
phone or the battery 'cause there's a dead short somewhere.

googlelover

Reaction score
To a point it's ok for a phone to get warm while in use but never so hot you can't hold it.
The heat is a result of the chemical action of drawing power from the battery and it's normal
to warm the battery. When the battery get's hot then something is either way wrong with the
phone or the battery 'cause there's a dead short somewhere.

read the whole thread, gets hot while not in use.
An extremely flaky signal can make your phone hot, but I've never seen it make a phone hot while not in use... Sounds like it could be a rouge app try installing watchdog and see if any apps are using too many resources.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well lets try downloading something like Android Task Manager or another task manager to see if you have any extra apps running that could cause your phone to off put more heat. We need some way to tell which program is taking up the most amount of cpu and battery over a matter of time. This sounds just a like one rouge app that is running constantly and causing the cpu to increase in clock speed thus causing the battery to drain faster and then heat occurs in both the battery and cpu