Battery Calibration is /bad/ for your device!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you like that catchy title? Either way, I've run across an article, and while reading it, it does make a lot of sense.

The Truth Behind “Battery Re-Calibration”

I've never personally noticed a difference after calibrating my battery, however, we're all well aware that after using your battery for a couple days, the battery life seemingly gets better.

What do you think? Do we have any battery experts in here?

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Wow...idk if this is true or the re-calibration is true but this sounds like it...but anyways, I do the lazy calibration...play the phone til its 5% than charge it to 100% without touching it...nice info

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.2
Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
Regularly re-calibrating is not good, as regular full discharges are indeed bad for the cells. But the article is mostly FUD. If you charge from 50%-100% twice, or from 50%-75% four times, that's still only one charge cycle a far as the cells are concerned.

As long as you:
1. Don't regularly fully discharge.
2. Don't store the battery at full charge or in high-temps.

Your battery will be fine. But having said that, calibration is really more for your benefit than anything, and not necessary, as regularly charging it when it gets low will do the same thing, it'll just take a few charge cycles.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Oh OK...but that is weird
Never knew what harms these things can do

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.2
Tapatalk

slimpirudude

Reaction score
I always put mine on charger and leave it there all night while i sleep. Also, i always use it untill it dies, atleast once a day. Is that not good?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
I always put mine on charger and leave it there all night while i sleep. Also, i always use it untill it dies, atleast once a day. Is that not good?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

The generally agreed upon advice is to not fully discharge the battery more than only rarely. Small, frequent charges are much better for the cells than fewer, full charges. Every deep discharge will decrease the maximum capacity. Do it often, and within a few months you'll see significantly shorter battery life - as opposed to over a year properly charging.