Barnacle

MissDixie256

Reaction score
Hello All! I am rooted with the Bloated Version of froyo but so far I am LOVING being able to download FLASH stuff!

Now, I would love to use my 'data' package to the ultimate max so.. I want to try wifi teathering without paying for it. I downloaded Barnacle as I have seen recommended but I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it free to use it? Meaning am I going to have to pay for BigReds wifi service?

2. How many people can connect to me through this? Because I don't want anyone and their brothers being able to connect to me.

Markmm24

Reaction score
Use tether for rooted users. U can set a password so that only people u want can connect to it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

ziggy484

Reaction score
The signal your phone gives off isnt as strong as a normal wireless modem, so its not like your neighbor can pick up your signal

Sent from my rooted Froyo Fascinate

Kenny Bats

Reaction score
My friend had an ISP outage last week due to weather and started barnacle. He had no problems connecting his laptop. His neighbor connected to his phone almost immediately so the signal does travel a bit. He kicked his butt right off. You can set a WEP key in barnacle to avoid those unwanted connections in the future.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

ziggy484

Reaction score
ehhhh... who cares if the neighbor connects anyway, its all free.

Sent from my rooted Froyo Fascinate

n660623x

Reaction score
Yes its free but every person on the connection will slow it down...it is completely free...it's not very fast
Compared to other options, but it works. I recently moved and tethered it to my desktop while I was waiting on my internet to get hooked up. If u r patient enough too deal with the slow speed, its a great option! Enjoy

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Big red is tracking wifi tethering by looking at data consumption. In super clean 2.8 there is a wifi cover up add on. Please see adrynalyne's OP of super clean.

froyo:
SC 2.8 worlds end
midnight/steel blue theme

OP
M

MissDixie256

Reaction score
I would love to go to superclean! Maybe when I can get settled long enough to read up on it I will flash over to that...