barebones car dock??

islander90

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good, cheap car dock for the D3 that ISN'T the moto one? I don't need the fanciness of the proprietary plug that launches apps or anything like that. I just want a car dock that holds my phone solid. I know there are some generic car docks out there that rely on friction and pads, but it'd be nice to have one similar to the Droid1 car dock (which I had removed the magnet from). Any suggestions?

Fuzzball

Reaction score
I don't have a D3 yet, however I've been using the iGrip Traveler Kit with my OG for about a year and a half now. Just make sure you get the kit and not just the window mount. I did a quick search on Amazon and didn't see it for a price that made it a better deal than Moto's. Keep in mind that iGrip's products are ok, but it's overpriced IMO. The adhesive for one of the foam grips melted on a hot summer day, the foam moved to the side a little, and it's been stuck there ever since. My phone has fallen out a couple of times when I didn't push the grips in properly.

If you can pick up Moto's for $30 shipped, it's worth it. It secures the phone better, better quality build, and comes with a car charger that can be handy even if you don't have it plugged in to the dock all the time. I expect that you can disable the Car app from launching when you insert it. I know on the D1/D2 dock it just requires removing the magnet. If the D3 dock doesn't use a magnet, there should be a way to disable it from launching.

Reaction score
You can download an app called "Dock Nothingness". It will allow you to dock the phone into a dock with the magnet inside and the CarDock won't launch. :icon_ banana: