Back lighting for4 hard buttons

markd.

Reaction score
The backlighting on the four buttons at the bottom (Home, Menu, Back, Search) seems intermittent & random. They come on sometimes & not others. Pretty irritating when they don't light up. Can't find anything in the manual. Anyone else have this problem? Something simple I'm missing?
Thanks!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe that they depend on the sensor (top right)... if they are not on simply try putting your thumb over the sensor, that works for me.

OP
M

markd.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't see a sensor there, though? Can't see one identified in the manual either. Where is that?
Thanks.

xBBuser

Reaction score
On my Inc if I put my thumb over the top LEFT corner of the phone it will block the sensor. Basically, just left of the gold Verizon check mark and above the screen. In the black area.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Moto Droid has this issue. So does the Blackberry Storm. :)

On the Moto Droid the way to fix it is just to press the power button that wakes the phone up. If the Incredible has that, it probably will work that way too.

xBBuser

Reaction score
When in a full light, pressing the power on button on the Inc does not light up the menu buttons

xBBuser

Reaction score
When in a full light, pressing the power on button on the Inc does not light up the menu buttons

Well, what do you use to put it to sleep with?

I'm not sure that I follow you?
What does this thread have to do with putting it to sleep?
On the Inc menu buttons, they 'backlight' automatically when in a low light situation. I think that is what the OP was experiencing in his first post.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

On the Inc menu buttons, they 'backlight' automatically when in a low light situation. I think that is what the OP was experiencing in his first post.

You don't have to follow me. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is similar to what we see in the Droid, they are both Android phones. When we push the power button the Droid sleeps and when we push it back a second time the power buttons comes on.

So I'm thinking that putting the phone to sleep and waking it back up might fix it, or at least be a work around.

opengeo

Reaction score

You don't have to follow me. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is similar to what we see in the Droid, they are both Android phones. When we push the power button the Droid sleeps and when we push it back a second time the power buttons comes on.

So I'm thinking that putting the phone to sleep and waking it back up might fix it, or at least be a work around.
I think it's using a sensor on the bottom of the phone, possibly the optical mouse. Cover that area in sleep mode, press power button, and the bottom buttons light up.

xBBuser

Reaction score

It's all good. I had a Droid and wasn't understanding what you meant by sleep mode. I'm sure it's the same as me saying I use the power button to turn the screen off. I thought when you said sleep mode it had to do with using it on your night stand in sleep mode. :)

Last edited:
OP
M

markd.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Still not sure I can see the sensor. But, it certainly seems to be true that covering up the phone reliably turns on the backlights for the buttons. Seems a little weird cuz it's hard to read them otherwise even in good light...