B-boy: Custom pulldowns

USMC69

Reaction score
Hey man,

this is actually my first post, I've been lurking for awhile now, and I finally got the courage to root my phone and start trying new things with themes, etc. I've managed to change the pulldown menu a few times, using metamorph, but only by downloading a file someone else has already made. I've searched everywhere I can think of in these and other forums, but I can't find any specific instructions with how to create my own pulldown that is transparent! I was wondering if you'd be able to point me in the right direction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B-boy™

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well, the way I did/do it is with PhotoShop but I do believe "opacity" is an option in most photo editors.. I'll assume you know what png it already is (if you don't, just dl one of my many pulldowns onto your pc and keep it as a template.. the png in drawable--hdpi is the status_bar_background.png which is the pulldown. just completely edit that pic. If you change the name of the main folder make sure you also rename the xml control file in the first subfolderEXACTLY the same as the main folder... Then highlight both framework-res and that xml, right click them and choose to add to "foldername.zip"... there's your pulldown).... now, onto making one: Use a photo editor and open either one of mine or one from a ROM. If it's locked or indexed, change the image to RGB so you can edit it. Then give it a background like solid black. Next, find an image you wanna add to it from google or wherever and open it also and (in photoshop) hit window/arrange/tile. That opens both images side by side... "move" the new image over onto the black background. (in photoshop) hit ctrl -t and it will create an outline around that new layer (image) so you can resize it to fit.... from there you now can add more stuff or whatever you want...once you have the pulldown looking how you want it to, combine layers..(in photoshop) I hold shift and left click every layer from the right side then hit ctrl-E. Now you have one layer..... (in photoshop) on the right side is "opactity -100%"... drop that level down to however "see through" you want the whole pulldown to be.. mine averages 70 - 80% and they are great... play with it tho to find your level. THAT, is how I make a transparent pulldown...

Now if you move some clean images onto the black background, and you only want the black to be transparent, don't combine layers, or only combine the ones you want to be see through with the black background... then make sure that layer is highlighted and change the opacity.. now, you have a transparent pulldown with a solid image inside of it... That's how most of my new pulldowns are.. well, maybe some, not most.. but still... lol..

I hope this helps you.. I know from experience that it's easy for me to say all this because it's 2nd nature and I know all the steps.. you might not, nor will some others that read it.... but it really is a very easy edit to make and adds a little more flavor to any theme.... Feel free to ask more questions, I will help and guide as much as I possibly can... Enjoy!

Last edited:

USMC69

Reaction score
Wow, worked like a charm! Seems so simple, haha...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another question though. Is there anyway to change the gray notification to black/transparent, and to make it smaller? Like smaller font or something so that the dropdown is not covering almost have of the pull down image?

Thanks again!

OP
B-boy™

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No prob man.. looks great!... As far as the gray areas in the pulldown, they're a mix of title_bar_tall & medium.9.png's and status_bar_item_background_normal_cust.9.png I think, so as long as ya either know how to 9patch or just darken them and take a chance that they look good, you can use them. As far as making it smaller, I really don't know.. some images are told how much to stretch I think so you'd have to know what to change.. could be wrong tho... What I do is make the primary image in a pulldown lower, so that it can be seen most of the time... some of mine are just images I made so if some of it gets covered, it's ok since there isn't a primary image...

USMC69

Reaction score
Right on, makes sense.

I know that there is a way to customize virtually every aspect of the Droid, and I'm having a great time learning how! I'm still unfamiliar with .9.png's, but from what I know they can sometimes be cumbersome to work with for the uneducated...

I'll keep at it and see what I can find! I try hard not to ask too many questions to everyone on step-by-step instructions unless I REALLY need to, I like to learn the "Why's" in addition to the "How's", lol.

Again, much appreciated! I'm sure I'll be hitting you up again in the future for something! And great work on your themes, btw. :D

OP
B-boy™

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Right on, makes sense.

I know that there is a way to customize virtually every aspect of the Droid, and I'm having a great time learning how! I'm still unfamiliar with .9.png's, but from what I know they can sometimes be cumbersome to work with for the uneducated...

I'll keep at it and see what I can find! I try hard not to ask too many questions to everyone on step-by-step instructions unless I REALLY need to, I like to learn the "Why's" in addition to the "How's", lol.

Again, much appreciated! I'm sure I'll be hitting you up again in the future for something! And great work on your themes, btw. :D

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/up-coming-themers/123430-tutorial-drawpatch9-2.html#post1285568 great tut on 9patching... and that's a good method.. It's how I did it too... Lot's of trial and error... lol.. Thanks man, I appreciate it.. good luck and hit me up on the next one...

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
aaaahh I must not click that link....
Too much info going into this brain already..
I'll leave this up to the.......
dangit I gotta go learn..

OP
B-boy™

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, doesnt look hard.. what rom are you on? And do you want it located closer to the bottom or enlarged on the whole pulldown?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Yeah, doesnt look hard.. what rom are you on? And do you want it located closer to the bottom or enlarged on the whole pulldown?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

im running projcet elite GB v5.0.1 on a D1 and enlarged would be great. thanks

OP
B-boy™

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10789872/Monkey_pulldown.zip

ok try that one... if you haven't applied a pulldown on gb roms w/ metamorph yet, I suggest trying the app "zipthemer".. it'll create an update.zip type install, rather than mm... if you choose to use mm tho, just keep hitting force close until mm says "all themes applied".. then yank the battery and reboot... the zipthemer method doesn't have the fc issues.... let me know if it looks good, I added a little bevel to it to raise the image but I can change it easy....

Reaction score

ok try that one... if you haven't applied a pulldown on gb roms w/ metamorph yet, I suggest trying the app "zipthemer".. it'll create an update.zip type install, rather than mm... if you choose to use mm tho, just keep hitting force close until mm says "all themes applied".. then yank the battery and reboot... the zipthemer method doesn't have the fc issues.... let me know if it looks good, I added a little bevel to it to raise the image but I can change it easy....

ive never used the zipthemer but i DL'd it so i wouldnt have the FC issues. how do i go about installing the pulldown with zipthemer?

OP
B-boy™

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

ive never used the zipthemer but i DL'd it so i wouldnt have the FC issues. how do i go about installing the pulldown with zipthemer?

I have never used it either...lol.. but I heard it's very easy.. just dl my zip, then open zipthemer and choose create zip.. locate MY zip and it'll make a recovery based install just like an update.zip.. it'll also make an undo.zip that will take ya back to how it looks now.. before the flash..

Reaction score
dude i looks great. could i get the one closer to the bottom? and its a bit pixelated. i realize that this may be because of the attachment i sent but if you could fix that i would greatly appreicate it. if not i do understand. i am greatful that youve taken the time to do this for me. thanks again B ps.... i just saw that biohazard pulldown you did....SWEEEETTTTTT can you make my logo have that look?

Last edited:
OP
B-boy™

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dude i looks great. could i get the one closer to the bottom? and its a bit pixelated. i realize that this may be because of the attachment i sent but if you could fix that i would greatly appreicate it. if not i do understand. i am greatful that youve taken the time to do this for me. thanks again B

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10789872/Monkey_pulldownv2.zip

ok try that one.. I made the image a little smaller and moved it to the bottom.. yeah that pic was real small so it'll do that when enlarging it.. if it still doesn't look right, I can find a different pic to use that is bigger.... I'm heading to work now so it'll be later tonight...
Ps, yeah but it will be after work.....

Last edited: