Awesome audio

windstrings

Reaction score
This is by far the best audio I"ve ever heard on a phone.. the sound comes out the back and bounces back at you making the perfect acoustics... especially if its held in the hand.

Even cheap sound samples sound rich and alive like I"ve never heard them as I'm imported many I've collected from my last two phones over the last few years.. so I have that to compare to.

abooch1

Reaction score
Really? Really? guess your not into audio really...through the speaker maybe...but through the headphones it is one of the worst..

denlem

Reaction score
This is by far the best audio I"ve ever heard on a phone.. the sound comes out the back and bounces back at you making the perfect acoustics... especially if its held in the hand.

Even cheap sound samples sound rich and alive like I"ve never heard them as I'm imported many I've collected from my last two phones over the last few years.. so I have that to compare to.

I agree! I put some MP3's on the SD card today and was playing them while washing and waxing the car. I was surprised at how clear and loud it was.

I also discovered Pandora and Slacker radio. They streamed perfectly. I have never used a phone for music before, but I think i'll be using this one a lot.

While I didn't do a long test, but playing about 45 minutes to an hour of MP3's brought my battery from 100% to 90%. Not bad.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
Really? Really? guess your not into audio really...through the speaker maybe...but through the headphones it is one of the worst..

The only time I have earphones on is when I'm leading my Band and using my in ear monitors.. but thats not exactly the same either.

I haven't tried earphones with the droid..... I'm commenting about the speaker..... hence the discussion about how the acoustics form while bouncing off the back of my hand.

Bose uses technology that has perfect measurements to the exact cm in bouncing to form that perfect sound.

I was just amazed and wondered if they factored this in on purpose, because if you listen to the sound come out the back of the phone, it doesn't sounds a clear, crisp, and bassy as when it bounces out the back and comes forward.

It does take a bit of a distance for many frequencies to form enough to hear well, otherwise they are fragmented frequencies.

Normally Bass frequencies take about 20Feet to fully form, but any variable thereof works too just not quite as good.

The science of speakers are quite interesting.
The size of the box they are in, whether ported or not and the shape all play a role.
As the diaphragm vibrates, if its allowed to relax too much or too little also makes a difference as to how smooth and cracky the sound is... all determined by the box its in, magnets and power applied.

Even as antenneas have full wave, 3/4 wave, 5/8 wave, 1/2 wave and 1/4 wave.... if you get in between those electronic variables, it doesn't work as well and you get "standing waves" on the transmit and just plain less ability to hear on the recieve.

Speakers work the same way. Lower the frequency the bigger the speaker needed to accurately reproduce that frequency. Energy transmitted at a given frequency and wavelength is formed the same way an antenna forms it.

From the center of the cone to the outside edge...think of that as the positive half of the wavelength from the center to the edge and going the opposite direction is the negative half of the wavelength.

Earphones are not all created equal either and not all earphones work the same with all outputs.

I"ve seen some earphones work and sound great on one device while needed a tweak on another of different devices.

As of yet, I have no idea about earphone quality.
But if its anything like speakers, the voltage or power rated matters and if you hit it with too much or too little things don't work perfect.

Is it possible the voltage coming out the back of the unit is lower voltage and or amperage to power the earphone properly... only guessing here.

I can't imagine why it would be bad if the same electronic signal sounds good out of a speaker..... maybe I'm just comparing to my other phones and they must have had very crappy speakers.

I've never heard "anyones" phone sound as good as the droid through the speakers.......

Has anybody ?.... and if so which one?

My phone experience is quite limited.

hazydave

Reaction score

I totally agree... best speaker sound out of a phone or PDA ever! It more or less makes sense... they had a decent amount of space in the back to port speakers. But this is usually one of those things phone designers don't care all that much about.

I'm also getting totally acceptable audio from the headphone jack as well. Like the iPhone, it's pretty low gain... but I have a set of Sony studio headphones on it now, and the sound is fine... no noise, nothing to complain about at all. I suppose, in a crowded room, I might want a headphone amplifier, at least with these phones (again, much like the iPhone, sadly... before the DROID was annouced, I was thinking about buying a Cowon S9, primarily for the audio quality). Honestly, that's not a horrible decision to make on a device with strict power management issues... audio power, like RF transmit power, is one of those things that chews batteries.

gibson85

Reaction score
the eris has had awful audio quality for me and i'm on my second unit. from the moment i begin to play via headphones i get a "hum" or static noise behind it. once i hit pause or stop, the static continues for about 3 seconds. i returned it to verizon (they were difficult about it- this is my "worry free" 30 day return) and the new unit does this as well. it's not as noticeable with cheaper headphones (JBL JBuds) but most definitely noticeable with my Sennheisers and Shures. Wondering if this is a hardware shielding/grounding issue or a software issue. Anyone else have this annoying issue? If I had known this I'd have probably not have purchased the phone. Still a good phone though, but a bit of a dealbreaker.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone know of an app to increase the audio gain? Specifically for headphones?