avoid traffic option in google navigation?

dadarkside

Reaction score
i was looking for the newbie forum but i couldn't find it so i'm posting this question here.

i've been using bing navigation on my win mo phone for about 2 months now and i have fallen in love with the avoid traffic feature. for those that do not know what it is: when it suggests a route for you to take you have the option to avoid traffic. it will adjust the route to go around traffic. it will also dynamically change your route to get around traffic (this has been a godsend for memorial day and july 4th driving).

i've looked around to see if the google nav has this feautre built in but i can't find any conclusive evidence that it does. can anyone confirm or deny this?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Not an option in Google Nav at this time.

SCUBA-GUY

Reaction score
Yeah, Google Nav has a lot of room for improvements. I am kinda surprised that Google hasn't done more with it. It has a lot of potential but I haven't noticed an update since I started using it.

OP
dadarkside

dadarkside

Reaction score
This saddens me a little bit. It doesn't sway my decision to switch from WinMo to Android but that avoid traffic feature is very convenient. I can only hope that the google navi will get this update sometime in the feature.

xliderider

Reaction score
It doesn't do it automatically for you, but it does indicate a traffic problem though.

At the bottom left corner of the Nav display is the time to get to your destination. If the dot is green, then there is light/no traffic, if it is red then there is moderate to heavy traffic. Press the indicator, this will bring up a view of your route showing which areas are a problem (red/yellow). Press Menu while in this view, then press on Route Info, this may or may not show you alternate routes to your destination in muted colors, in addition to your current route. In addition, there are three icons in the lower right of the Nav screen. The one on the left will let you select Avoid Highways, or Avoid Tolls. The Middle icon is for Alternate Route, and the one at the right is for text directions.

hosscomp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4
It doesn't do it automatically for you, but it does indicate a traffic problem though.

At the bottom left corner of the Nav display is the time to get to your destination. If the dot is green, then there is light/no traffic, if it is red then there is moderate to heavy traffic. Press the indicator, this will bring up a view of your route showing which areas are a problem (red/yellow). Press Menu while in this view, then press on Route Info, this may or may not show you alternate routes to your destination in muted colors, in addition to your current route. In addition, there are three icons in the lower right of the Nav screen. The one on the left will let you select Avoid Highways, or Avoid Tolls. The Middle icon is for Alternate Route, and the one at the right is for text directions.

This is a terrible place to put the option to avoid toll roads. Who would think that they would have to stop their current navigation and start it again to find a setting. I'm thinking they may have a deal with toll roads. I hope they will add the option under alternate apps or where you turn voice on or off.