auto update stop?

kyle10

Reaction score
I got lucky today and caught the update with two minutes before it would install so I deferred it and now I need to know if there is a way to make it ignore the update overall?

Sent from my rooted galaxy s3

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
Or someone could tell me if there's a way I could update and keep root. Either way as long as I have my root and don't have to go back through the process :p

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
Well don't everybody answer at once dang. I was hoping for a quick answer

mlewis76

Reaction score
kyle10 said:
Well don't everybody answer at once dang. I was hoping for a quick answer

I read somewhere that u can unroot n install n still be able to get root back. Idk tho, I don't mess with my phones. Can't afford a new one if I brick my s3. I got an upgrade n 350 was still a lot of money for me.

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
I wanted to keep unlimited data so I paid 500 for mine.

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
Anybody wanting to stop the updates I have found an app called ota blocker for GS3 and it is working like a charm.

letinsh

Reaction score
I read somewhere that u can unroot n install n still be able to get root back. Idk tho, I don't mess with my phones. Can't afford a new one if I brick my s3. I got an upgrade n 350 was still a lot of money for me.

mlewis - I've read all 5 of your posts. 3 of them talk about how you don't mess with your phone and wouldn't root it "cuz you're scared". You're in a development forum. I appreciate the fact that you like your phone the way it is, but if the only thing you want to contribute is that you would never root your phone because it's "dangerous," please take it elsewhere.

Anybody wanting to stop the updates I have found an app called ota blocker for GS3 and it is working like a charm.

Kyle - I know you solved your problem with the app, but I'm one that likes to understand the how and why of something, not just the "get it done." Here's some knowledge if you want it.

As far as stopping your OTA, there are several things you can do. Since you're rooted, I image you have a custom recovery installed (CWM or TWRP). Just by the very fact that you have a custom recovery, the OTA will not install. The OTA will dowload to your phone (into /cache/fota/ folder -it'll be named Update.zip, OTAUpdate.zip or something close to that) and it will try to install by restarting the phone into recovery. This is where the process will bork and it won't install. The OTA is looking for the stock recovery to do it's install. It will find your custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) and the custom recovery won't let it install. No problem, no issue.

Now, if you leave that .zip file in the /cache/fota/ folder, it will keep trying to install. You can go in there (using Root Explorer or your preferred file manager) and delete it. End of story for that OTA. To prevent your phone from even downloading the OTA in the future (or even knowing that there's one available) you can use Titanium Backup and Freeze two apps - FWUpgrade 1.2.0 and SDM 1.0 (just select each app and one of the options will be to freeze it - this doesn't uninstall it (in case you need it again), but will keep it from running). Those are the two apps that deal with receiving an OTA.

I hope this helps!

arrndroid

Reaction score
Very informative post. Wish I would have read it before Verizon snuck the update under my nose!
Not meaning to hijack, but can you still root and unlock with the same files and methods as before?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

letinsh

Reaction score
Very informative post. Wish I would have read it before Verizon snuck the update under my nose!
Not meaning to hijack, but can you still root and unlock with the same files and methods as before?

Yes, you can.
Go here, look in the OP at Section 2 (if you're running windows), and it says that the method has been verified on all current builds:
*This works with all Current stock builds...VRALF2, VRALG1, VRALG7, VRALHD

Give it a shot and post your results here. What build are you currently on?

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
letinsh said:
mlewis - I've read all 5 of your posts. 3 of them talk about how you don't mess with your phone and wouldn't root it "cuz you're scared". You're in a development forum. I appreciate the fact that you like your phone the way it is, but if the only thing you want to contribute is that you would never root your phone because it's "dangerous," please take it elsewhere.

Kyle - I know you solved your problem with the app, but I'm one that likes to understand the how and why of something, not just the "get it done." Here's some knowledge if you want it.

As far as stopping your OTA, there are several things you can do. Since you're rooted, I image you have a custom recovery installed (CWM or TWRP). Just by the very fact that you have a custom recovery, the OTA will not install. The OTA will dowload to your phone (into /cache/fota/ folder -it'll be named Update.zip, OTAUpdate.zip or something close to that) and it will try to install by restarting the phone into recovery. This is where the process will bork and it won't install. The OTA is looking for the stock recovery to do it's install. It will find your custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) and the custom recovery won't let it install. No problem, no issue.

Now, if you leave that .zip file in the /cache/fota/ folder, it will keep trying to install. You can go in there (using Root Explorer or your preferred file manager) and delete it. End of story for that OTA. To prevent your phone from even downloading the OTA in the future (or even knowing that there's one available) you can use Titanium Backup and Freeze two apps - FWUpgrade 1.2.0 and SDM 1.0 (just select each app and one of the options will be to freeze it - this doesn't uninstall it (in case you need it again), but will keep it from running). Those are the two apps that deal with receiving an OTA.

I hope this helps!
I was about to say I tried letting it fail because i have cwm and it started reminding me again like a day later so I just looked it up in the market and found the app. I didn't know about deleting the file so I will probably do that tonight and get rid of the app. Thanks!

arrndroid

Reaction score
letinsh said:
Yes, you can.
Go here, look in the OP at Section 2 (if you're running windows), and it says that the method has been verified on all current builds:

Give it a shot and post your results here. What build are you currently on?

Ah thank you!
XDA has a ton more support for this phone I see...

Would have given it a shot already, but I am waiting on my 32gb card that's in the mail. Not my first phone hack though. Saved 3 phones from soft brick and changed ROMs every couple months on my D2.

Was on G7, Verizon just updated me to HE.
So far radio performance in my room is worse.

Secondlaw

Reaction score

I hope this helps!
Very useful info, Thanks for that!

goanna300

Reaction score
Now, if you leave that .zip file in the /cache/fota/ folder, it will keep trying to install. You can go in there (using Root Explorer or your preferred file manager) and delete it. End of story for that OTA.

Hi letinsh,

I remember downloading a big update manually but it's not in /cache/fota

Still, my rooted S3 still keeps going thru failed updates. I want to stop these as you say. Can't find any sizeable zip file on internal or external sd.

On another note, I cannot find any application called Ota killer. I'd use anything to get rid of nag screens and shut downs.

raptors2k

Reaction score

I hope this helps!

This is very good explanation, but where do I find that file to delete.. i type it search it and I don't see it. I'm on galaxy s3 on sprint.
any help thank you.
I did freeze it using titanium under system upgrade. but still the message keeps pupping out.

thank you guys

cricketson007

Reaction score
raptors2k said:
This is very good explanation, but where do I find that file to delete.. i type it search it and I don't see it. I'm on galaxy s3 on sprint.
any help thank you.
I did freeze it using titanium under system upgrade. but still the message keeps pupping out.

thank you guys

I don't know if this will pertain to your phone also but go to stickies and mattyps 215 leak class, very easy to do. I quoted part of that from xtor. Hopefully that helps you!