AT&T/T-Mobile Merger Deal Opposed by Public Interest Groups in Letter to FCC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fcc_commissioners.jpg

A number of public interest advocacy groups have recently written a letter to the FCC in opposition to the proposed AT&T and T-Mobile merger. Some of the groups that signed the letter include the Consumers Union, Public Knowledge, the Open Technology Initiative of the New America Foundation, the National Hispanic Media Coalition, Future of Music Coalition, Media Access Project, and the Free Press. Their letter requests FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski to “convene a series of field hearings around the country to hear from the people who could be most affected by the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile.” The letter further points out that the advocacy groups believe the acquisition would give AT&T control of nearly 80% of the U.S. wireless market and that, “prices would rise, jobs would be lost, and innovation would suffer.” The letter also indicated the merger is a "matter of great public concern" and that the FCC should hold the hearings before September to solicit more comment from the public and engage with consumers. "If approved, the merger would have serious repercussions around the country. The commission should not consider this merger without seeking direct input from those most impacted."

Let's hear from you guys. Do you think this merger is a good thing, a bad thing, or neither?

Source: BGR and Advocacy Group Letter .pdf

johnd09

Reaction score
Bad idea, if T-Mobile wants to sell they should be split between all companies. The fcc wouldn't let Verizon have all of Alltel so why should at&t get all of T-Mobile. At&t just wants them because they won't have to do as much work to keep up their network that is falling apart from lack of maintenance.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
im not a fan of this but if it happens it wouldnt bother me it could actually make things better for a few

Immolate

Reaction score
How can a reduction in choice be a good thing for anyone? How can you characterize this as anything other than a reduction in choice? T-Mobile customers certainly have to feel like they are getting the shaft. AT&T customers might get a somewhat better network after the merger, but they also lose a potential competitor to jump to if they get fed up.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
How can a reduction in choice be a good thing for anyone? How can you characterize this as anything other than a reduction in choice? T-Mobile customers certainly have to feel like they are getting the shaft. AT&T customers might get a somewhat better network after the merger, but they also lose a potential competitor to jump to if they get fed up.

as i said it gets better for a few and the only way this gets approved is with guidelines set by the fcc to safeguard tmobile and att customers

rcjames

Reaction score
I don't care but if they both merge it might become a better network. I rather look at the positive things. ATT wants to be a better network and earn more money period.