AT&T Nexus 6 on Verizon without a phone with a nano sim

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not always...... I've had Verizon CSRs try to to charge me for a SIM before. ...

sent from my hot Note Pro!
OMG, really? There isn't even a price point on their system for SIM cards. What were they trying to charge you? I'd report that CSR to Verizon's home office right there in the store.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
They charged me $20 a couple of days ago to change from an iPhone 5S to an LG G3.
You need to go back and demand they refund that charge. Better yet, call 800-922-0204 and demand a refund.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Does the phone work flawlessly on Verizon? I know there are some important differences between AT&T and Verizon's wireless networks.

I ask because while the phone supports both carriers, I would imagine the phones sold by the carriers retail stores do have some bloat (minimal really) on the phone. If AT&T, for example, has added some apps, I can't help but think there might be some tweaks as well to increase performance on their networks.

Just a thought.

Sort of on topic: I love Network Signal Info. I nerd out on knowing all of the wireless information about my phone.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419521731729.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1419521731729.png
    682.4 KB · Views: 291
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419521741853.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1419521741853.png
    615.7 KB · Views: 305
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does the phone work flawlessly on Verizon? I know there are some important differences between AT&T and Verizon's wireless networks.

I ask because while the phone supports both carriers, I would imagine the phones sold by the carriers retail stores do have some bloat (minimal really) on the phone. If AT&T, for example, has added some apps, I can't help but think there might be some tweaks as well to increase performance on their networks.

Just a thought.

Sort of on topic: I love Network Signal Info. I nerd out on knowing all of the wireless information about my phone.

Well they are all actually the exact same phone with Google doing the "what ever carrier sim you activate during set up those are the carrier apps it will download during setup". But besides that no issues. @smalltowngirl13 been running the one she bought on At&t longer than I so she could give you a long term prognosis.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Well they are all actually the exact same phone with Google doing the "what ever carrier sim you activate during set up those are the carrier apps it will download during setup

Correct. We are in agreement that the phones are identical in hardware. AT&T did their brand mark on the phone if it was bought through AT&T at a retail store. But my buddy's Nexus 6 came with AT&T apps on it. I would assume if they are going to take the time to put the apps and branding on the phone, they would also modify some software to optimize performance on their network. Also, for AT&T, all I ha e to do is get a SIM, pop it in, and I am good to go. With Verizon (and Sprint too?) the phone has to be activated on the network, correct? I think it has something to do with the CDMA network etc.

If we could find some clarification on that, that would be cool.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
UPDATE: For AT&T, it came with two apps. Both of which are uninstallable.

Tonik

Reaction score
Correct. We are in agreement that the phones are identical in hardware. AT&T did their brand mark on the phone if it was bought through AT&T at a retail store. But my buddy's Nexus 6 came with AT&T apps on it. I would assume if they are going to take the time to put the apps and branding on the phone, they would also modify some software to optimize performance on their network. Also, for AT&T, all I ha e to do is get a SIM, pop it in, and I am good to go. With Verizon (and Sprint too?) the phone has to be activated on the network, correct? I think it has something to do with the CDMA network etc.

Nothing to clarify, all the carrier branded phones run the exact same versions of radios, modems, software and so on that I do on my unbranded 6. Hardware its identical also.

Any software the carriers push is non system uninstallable apps.

Verizon does not have the phone yet, so any difficulty is because the vz peeps don't know what to do yet and vz doesn't have the imei's in their system yet.

It's that straight forward.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Nothing to clarify, all the carrier branded phones run the exact same versions of radios, modems, software and so on that I do on my unbranded 6. Hardware its identical also.

Any software the carriers push is non system uninstallable apps.

Verizon does not have the phone yet, so any difficulty is because the vz peeps don't know what to do yet and vz doesn't have the imei's in their system yet.

It's that straight forward.
I am so happy to hear that!! Hopefully they don't make the Nexus 6 the next Galaxy Nexus.

Tonik

Reaction score

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
That kind of makes me glad that I buy my phones outright, and no longer deal with carrier branded/subsidized phones. I know not everyone can do that, but for their sake I wish they could.

Sadly, I guess being the largest US provider with a huge reach helps them a lot.

chengmania

Reaction score

Hello all,

I bought my Nexus 6 from Motorola, and just swapped my Droid Maxx nano sim, after I setup my Nexus 6 with all my google accounts etc.

I have no vzw carrier bloat ware. It works flawlessly on VZW I'd say even better then droid maxx after its most recent update. You can download the vzw apps from Google Play, if you wanted. I saw them in my apps list.

The one annoying thing is the fancy Vzw Visual Voicemail app is not available. So I have to call my VM to listen to it like I used to a few years ago.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
That is awesome!!

I am very skeptical of Verizon. They are rather silly about their phone acceptance policies. This appears to be changing. As Sprint and Verizon both have CDMA networks for 2G and 3G, their upgrade to LTE puts GSM technologies on their networks. I wonder if this addition requires they make any phone that uses GSM technologies available for use on their network.

Before LTE, they could accept or deny any phone that did or didn't meet Verizon's standards. Or simply because they did not want to approve the phone.

I am super happy to see that the Nexus 6 may be the first real Nexus phone properly cross carrier compatible.

Reactions: cr6

chengmania

Reaction score
That's the whole reason I got this nexus in the first place, I wanted pure, unbloated, direct from google, OEM unlockable boot loader etc.... It seems to the the case. I even got the 5.0.1 update a few days after I activated the phone. Knowing vzw they'd make you wait until 5.2 came out before ota-ing the 5.0.1....

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Knowing vzw they'd make you wait until 5.2 came out before ota-ing the 5.0.1....
Good to hear! I think Verizon is starting to finally turn things around in this aspect. They were the first ones to release 4.4.4 on many of their flagship models, and now after reading about your timely update, it gives me hope for the future. Let's hope this trend continues.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
That's the whole reason I got this nexus in the first place, I wanted pure, unbloated, direct from google, OEM unlockable boot loader etc.... It seems to the the case. I even got the 5.0.1 update a few days after I activated the phone. Knowing vzw they'd make you wait until 5.2 came out before ota-ing the 5.0.1....
I won't disagree that the carriers in the US are super slow with software updates. But like Samsung crams all of their apps on their phones (clearly to compete with Google's apps), the carriers want their stuff on there too. It takes time, but it seems to always take too long.

And that is why I love my Nexus devices!! Hopefully Verizon does not muck it up too much.