Are you in favor or against Android dropping the app drawer

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of when I would rip Apphole fans for not having an sd-card slot. "I don't need it!" I would always say it is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. (And I am glad to see OEMs bring them back!)

I had thus argument in my Digital Imaging class today, they were having trouble finding the SD card for their camera and someone said, "well they don't always have one" to which I replied that anyone who buys a camera that doesn't have expandable memory is an idiot.

he then mentioned phones and never needing more than 64gb on his iPhone... I very loudly, in front of the whole class asked him what if I wanted more than 64gb of pr0n... the reaction was priceless. absolutely priceless. the teacher even started laughing.

Yes I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nah, weird are the people that don't use it. I don't use it often but I do use it as my main apps are in 4 folders on home screen, the other 100 apps are either in app drawer or disabled.
78db323824262e649a66ffe7c4fae858.jpg

I got to pick with you...but were you meaning to name that finances?

I like the way you have your folders set up though.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Personally I feel like going no app drawer makes Android more like iOS and was one reason I did not like MIUI ROMS back in the day. For me it seems like the more successful android is getting the more it is looking like iOS.

Who would have imagined that we were looking at the future of android when we saw that commercial back in the day.

edit: removed my opinion from the op
I completely agree. I got Android because I hate having rows and rows of icons. Junk drawer would be an overstatement with how our home screens would looks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ricnar456

Reaction score
Making the app drawer optional is a solution for all tastes.
Disable or not will be our decision only changing an option in the configuration.

Ricnar

Enviado desde mi LG-H815 mediante Tapatalk

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
I have several very kick-butt (keeping it PG in here) ideas for a system layout, that would not involve an "app drawer" OR leave your apps on your homescreen(s). Too bad I'm nowhere near good enough to make it a reality. That sucks. Lol

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have several very kick-butt (keeping it PG in here) ideas for a system layout, that would not involve an "app drawer" OR leave your apps on your homescreen(s). Too bad I'm nowhere near good enough to make it a reality. That sucks. Lol
Draw the idea up... Find a coder and work together. I'm in my second semester of game programming and I'm already thinking of my get simple addictive free game. Find one if these amazing android devs and draw up a plan with them where you get royalties... Or create a company and pay them to create it for you and upkeep it while it's your company... So many options, don't give up.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think it's a bIg mistake. Samsung, Google and Android in general needs to stop trying to copy a Apple. We're all Android fans for a reason, but when you continue removing those core features that make Android an Android, you've completely lost your way and will end up driving Android fans to the dark side. Based on their recent stance with the FBI, I've been seriously considering them for the first time ever.
And that's a scary thought!
Leave well enough alone Googs! I use a third party launcher anyways, but still.... SMDH!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bIg mistake. Samsung, Google and Android in general needs to stop trying to copy a Apple. We're all Android fans for a reason, but when you continue removing those core features that make Android an Android, you've completely lost your way and will end up driving Android fans to the dark side. Based on their recent stance with the FBI, I've been seriously considering them for the first time ever.
And that's a scary thought!
Leave well enough alone Googs! I use a third party launcher anyways, but still.... SMDH!
It also has a cause on those such as myself to not want to buy any device, no matter the platform since it's becoming just a clone of the other , nothing new, nothing interesting, nothing useful that's new.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Still think it's not true.
Be Together, Not The Same...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I hope you are right.

But I can't forget that "be together, not the same" did bring Samsung Knox like security to android. Though I have been on the side of being OK with security like that on a device that I use my pay app on, we clearly had people express not wanting to be the same with being force encrypted. Yet unfortunately that did not stop Google. To be fair security is different than a launcher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Isn't that the catch phrase for Google bloatware? All Android devices share 1 thing in common. Google bloatware. Where they differ is manufacturer and carrier added bloatware. Where they differ from Apple is no carrier and manufacturer bloatware but even Apple has bloatware, Safari being just 1 example, and they've had Apple bloatware longer than Android has had Google bloatware. If the app drawer goes away it'll be about the Benjamins in some way or another.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL