Are you considering the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
xperia-play-droidforums.png

Are you considering the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play as your next Android Phone?

Be sure to vote!

Sulfur

Reaction score
Are you considering the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play as your next Android Phone?

Be sure to vote![/quote]

Definitely. I <3 4inch screens, and gingerbread at launch is a plus. Depends heavily on how the playstation suite works and if enough 3rd party games will support the controls.

[quote="Xplorer4x4, post: 1529847"]Nope No need when you can get this:
[url=http://www.game-gripper.com/product_p/601.htm]Droid 2 Game Gripper[/url]
This way you have the best of both world a game pad and a keyboard. :)[/quote]

The game gripper is awesome, but it doesn't have analog style controls or shoulder buttons. On top of that, its just one more thing to carry on you. I never use hardware keyboards, so no loss there.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like the controller but the rest is pretty bad. Especially the screen.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Nope No need when you can get this:
Droid 2 Game Gripper
This way you have the best of both world a game pad and a keyboard. :)

The game gripper is awesome, but it doesn't have analog style controls or shoulder buttons. On top of that, its just one more thing to carry on you. I never use hardware keyboards, so no loss there.

Analog Controls? I wasnt aware of this. I thought this was a mouse like touch pad in the middle. I would prefer PSP style analog sticks myself.

Shoulder buttons? Again I wasnt aware of that. Guess I am behind the times on this phone, but really not sure they are needed for any of the current android games. With this being a playsation phone, they may be useful since I suspect it is going to have both the standard android games from the market, as well as PSP/PS2 and maybe PS1 ports avaliable from a sony market or soemthing. I dont think it could handle PS3 ports with out major compression to the games and some major hacking.

As for carrying the game gripper, I dont use it myself, as I dont game enough to waste money buying it, but really it cant be that bad. What else are you carrying that makes it such a burden?

Sulfur

Reaction score
Nope No need when you can get this:
Droid 2 Game Gripper
This way you have the best of both world a game pad and a keyboard. :)

Analog Controls? I wasnt aware of this. I thought this was a mouse like touch pad in the middle. I would prefer PSP style analog sticks myself.

Shoulder buttons? Again I wasnt aware of that. Guess I am behind the times on this phone, but really not sure they are needed for any of the current android games. With this being a playsation phone, they may be useful since I suspect it is going to have both the standard android games from the market, as well as PSP/PS2 and maybe PS1 ports avaliable from a sony market or soemthing. I dont think it could handle PS3 ports with out major compression to the games and some major hacking.

As for carrying the game gripper, I dont use it myself, as I dont game enough to waste money buying it, but really it cant be that bad. What else are you carrying that makes it such a burden?

You're right, poorly worded about the touch pads. Shoulder buttons are necessary for me to enjoy ps1 games, and are probably the only way to use the dual touch pads in a FPS successfully. Concerning carrying the game gripper, I just don't like having unnecessary things in my pockets!

Reaction score
Droid Data Port is not working after 1 1/2 years.

Hi!

I'm having trouble with Verizon wanting to support their product Droid. I have a Droid that stopped working and I'm still in the New Every Two contract which Verizon says that they no longer honor that program. Verizon also does not order the parts for my phone. My phone was brought in Dec. 09 and does not work now. I do not want another Droid as I feel the product is not a long lasting product and Verizon does not back their products. Instead they offer for you to upgrade with and give small amounts of money for you to take on a huge $259 bill for a product that doesn't last for two years. Any suggestions on where to purchase a phone without getting into a contract? I'm hoping to stop my contract with Verizon as I still have 7 months with no phone. Verizon's suggestion was for me to use my old phone. The problem with that is, my old verizon envy has the same problem ( the Droid and Envy will not charge after 1 1/2 year).

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try swappa.com, ebay, wirefly

xperia has pretty bad internals. I dont see advanced gaming coming to this device. I already have playstation and n64 on my fascinate. The physical game pad and gingerbread is sweet though. Gingerbread will help performance at least with such crappy internals.

Sent from my fascinate

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea...after seeing the gaming pad in action in a review....it might be a decent phone to get off contract somewhere cheap if you have an upgrade.

But, depending on who you are and what you want from your phone this might be a decent phone. I know playing Tecmo Bowl on this phone would be alot better than on my DX1. Wiimote Controller is an option for the DX1....but I have a Wii. So I would just fire up emulators on my Wii and call it a day in that case.

Card

Reaction score
When I first saw the phone, I was very strongly considering it. I'm a sucker for classic games, and using the keyboard on my D1 with the various emulators leaves a lot to be desired. Having PS1 games on Android seems cool also, but really I just want a better way to play Mega Man on my phone.

Then I saw the actual specs of the Xperia Play, and I was a little disappointed. At this point in the game, they really should have stepped up with hardware that at least meets the bar set by phones released 4-6 months ago. Additionally, as cool as it would be to have a sweet gamepad as part of my phone, having a keyboard is more practical. For day-to-day use, I could justify the added weight and thickness of a slider phone much more by it having a full keyboard as opposed to a gamepad.