Are there a hardware/Os reason we can't edit HD video in real time?

knighthonor

Reaction score
My supervisor brought up an interesting topic of discussion in his daily Apple fan rant.

He claims Android isn't capable of the processing power needed to edit HD videos and Make professional Movies like directors are doing now days on their ipad/ iphones. He works in media art for a living in his other job, and does everything with his iphone 4. So I take his word on that stuff about directors making movies on an iphone /ipad.

But are his claims that the Android isn't capable due to hardware and OS processing limitations, hold any truth?

I tried to prove him wrong, but to my surprise, the Android market lacks ANY APPS TO DO WHAT HE DISPLAYED TO ME FROM HIS IOS APP!

This seems to bring evidence to his claims of this. I claimed it was simply due to the lack of software support, but with a fast growing market, I am surprised we still lack these same features. Maybe there is some truth to my supervisor's claims. I don't know, so I come here asking to seek the truth about the reasons we lack this software support.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
The lack of an app for video editing has nothing to do with the capability of the hardware. As far as android goes I suspect if there was a demand for such an app the software would follow.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Why else wouldn't we also have the apps for this?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why else wouldn't we also have the apps for this?

Niche market....Doubt there is enough revenue for it to be worth a devs time.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Something I want to know, what park of the market do Android dominate? Ios has the media art and gaming, well what does Android has software wise that is better?

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
This is something that is bothering me. I'm a media arts student and my concentration is with tv/video so i spend a lot of time editing movies for school and for fun and if i could do even just a low to mid level editing on a tablet that would sell me in a heartbeat. I know google made an app for honeycomb that edits video but i heard its garbage. Who cares if it is a niche market? That is still a place to make money! I would gladly pay a fair amount for a video editing app on an android tablet. Unfortunately the fact that the app store has good media arts apps is swaying me but honeycomb looks amazing and will only get better!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hasnt apple always been big with media editing and such though? i know from a couple studio i've toured and been to that they are using apple computers. Not that windows pc lacks the ability but i know the serious professionals are using macs.. Now how this correlates to this topic is i think Ios kind of extends that from macs. Its not that android isnt capable, its the expertise. Apple products just have good video editing software. 0.o Im sure if a company sees the demand, then we would get good editing software.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Hasnt apple always been big with media editing and such though? i know from a couple studio i've toured and been to that they are using apple computers. Not that windows pc lacks the ability but i know the serious professionals are using macs.. Now how this correlates to this topic is i think Ios kind of extends that from macs. Its not that android isnt capable, its the expertise. Apple products just have good video editing software. 0.o Im sure if a company sees the demand, then we would get good editing software.
^^^The proverbial nail on the head....

The very reason Apple has video editing/authoring software on their mobile platform is simply because of 2 main reasons...

1) Their mobile operating system is a direct extension of their desktop operating system, optimized to work on the mobile platform. Its why there is no noticeable problems with going from a Mac, to a MacBook, to an iPad, to an iPhone to an iPod...its seamless because the operating system between the devices is built from the same cloth...

2) Apple built its core foundation on "uber-geeks" who recognized the superior architecture of the Apple product from the start in doing video production work...which in turn, when these "uber-geeks" branched out into full on production of films, they carried the Apple brand with them...and built programs that harnessed the power of the Apple system. The PC (Windows based for the most part), decided to go in a different, but more marketable and profitable direction...mass consumerism...and that is where they still focus today.

Like others have stated already...if there was a "large, semi-profitable" market for this type of app on Android, I am sure Devs out there in Androidland would produce an app to satiate the masses...or at the very least, an ambitious Apple Dev would be all over either fresh coding the app, or porting over the Apple branded app...

Bottom line, its a limited market...the people who purchase this type of app are most likely already sporting an Apple product of some type and will not swap over to Android...

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
^^^The proverbial nail on the head....

The very reason Apple has video editing/authoring software on their mobile platform is simply because of 2 main reasons...

1) Their mobile operating system is a direct extension of their desktop operating system, optimized to work on the mobile platform. Its why there is no noticeable problems with going from a Mac, to a MacBook, to an iPad, to an iPhone to an iPod...its seamless because the operating system between the devices is built from the same cloth...

2) Apple built its core foundation on "uber-geeks" who recognized the superior architecture of the Apple product from the start in doing video production work...which in turn, when these "uber-geeks" branched out into full on production of films, they carried the Apple brand with them...and built programs that harnessed the power of the Apple system. The PC (Windows based for the most part), decided to go in a different, but more marketable and profitable direction...mass consumerism...and that is where they still focus today.

Like others have stated already...if there was a "large, semi-profitable" market for this type of app on Android, I am sure Devs out there in Androidland would produce an app to satiate the masses...or at the very least, an ambitious Apple Dev would be all over either fresh coding the app, or porting over the Apple branded app...

Bottom line, its a limited market...the people who purchase this type of app are most likely already sporting an Apple product of some type and will not swap over to Android...

The funny thing about why apple is so big in the video industry is because when they used powerpc for their cpus it was actually much much more efficient for video editing than the intel chips at the time. And when they switched to intel chips they still kept their pro user base because they had roped them in with the much nicer and straightforward UI of OS X. Just because i love macs and OS X and will probably never switch back to windows as my primary OS does not mean that i want the tinker toy OS that is iOS. I suppose i'm just dreaming about the chance of android becoming a viable platform of video editing. Video professionals are creatures of extreme habit, when they find something that works and they don't change unless they absolutely must. Oh well i'm not even sure if a touch based UI would really be that good, i need my keyboard shortcuts!