Are the S7 and S7 edge really deserving of its IP 68 rating?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
galaxy-s7-galaxy-s7-edge-official-6.jpg

According to tests the S7 and S7 edge may not be quite IP 68 ready (Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge not quite waterproof, torture tests reveal). Though many of us try to avoid mixing our phones with water if the company advertises it then hopefully the devices actually meet up to expectations. But hey atleast it performs better than the iPhone.

Is this something that would sway you opinion one way or another?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I like it more for piece of mind. I listen to my phone while showering and getting ready. Always makes me nervous grabbing my phone while my hands are wet. The water resistant features would make me feel better about dripping on the phone. I still wouldn't intentionally get it wet but do like the comfort it offers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's not something that would make or break my decision to buy a device, but I totally agree with Miller that it'd be nice to have that bit of piece of mind.

I do find it a bit concerning that I've seen the commercial a few times where the lady drops the phone in fountain, grabs it, and goes right back to taking pictures. I know about the Lil' Wayne (that's him, right?) one as well.

While I'd certainly never test the waterproof claims of a device on purpose, I could see being a bit more careless with it, knowing that it's supposed to stand up to more than what I would intentionally put it through.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It does matter to me. I once dropped my 1st Gen Moto X in water (about 2 inches of water, completely submerged). Grabbed within 2 seconds. The thing never missed a beat!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My Samsung Rep has submerged her S7 in water for 30 minutes and it was just fine. Water resistance is something that all phones should have, just for piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Firefighter912

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Buying
Saw a test on youtube..after 30 mins..the phone is liable to have issues to speaker.

After a 38+ depth test the phone shut off but the little light on top blinked.

neomancr

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S7
I take my S7 into the shower with me to watch YouTube or listen to music all the time. and when it it gets smudgy or dirty I simply wash it under the tap. it always works out fine. I wouldn't worry about water unless it's very high pressure