Apps will not update.

4myeuro

Reaction score
I am trying to update my applications but everytime I press update all, there is a message saying that the permissions have changed. It was telling me to open the app and accept the terms. I tried, no accept screen. The update does not work on either 3G or wifi. I am not sure what else to do. I have restarted my phone but nothing seems to help. I do not want to have to uninstall and then reinstall each one since there are 12.. any ideas or suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
You are clicking on the apps individually in the market? Many times you just have to click open the app download page and click ok to download.

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

doomer4life

Reaction score
I agree with PS3Gamer if the permissions have changed with the apps then there is no workaround :( if they are unable to download at all then get back with us good luck

kevinkar

Reaction score
I've not had this same exact issue but I have seen both a failure for the Market to notify me for days that any updates are available (when I go there manually there are a ton of updates waiting) or, when going into Market and selecting My Apps, I only see 3 listed out of the 100 I have.

So Market definitely works a bit strange as of late.

phoenix415

Reaction score
I'm having a somewhat similar issue. I go to the market and/or appbrain and see the list of apps to update. I hit "update all" and it seems to start working. However, it just sits at the downloading stage and never seems to progress. From time to time, two or three will successfully download and the rest are just stuck. I know that sometime a manual update is needed, and I am fine with that, however, the vast majority are set for auto and they just get locked up in the downloading stage. The only workaround I have found is to open each one that says it is downloading, cancel it, then go back to the app and update--then it seems to work. However, with the amount of apps I have, it is quite tedious. Not sure how to fix this. Anyone else have this problem.

gitargar

Reaction score
Although I'm not much of a game player, I have some on my X for my grandson. Ok, I may play one once in a while. I have AVG anti virus installed. I have updated other apps, but Angry Birds and Crazy Snowboarder will not update. The download completes, an AVG icon appears with a message that says download detected, followed by one that says "Angy Birs update unsuccessful. I'm left with a message that says installation error unknown reason -18. Any ideas. Thanks

ymihere

Reaction score
I was having the same problem as well but on top of that I can't even download new apps sometimes. But as far as updating them try starting them then going back to each one and cancel it then reastart it, I did that and it seemed to work for most of my apps.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

XDRDX

Reaction score
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Select the All tab -> scroll to Market and say clear data and cache.

Then open browser hit menu go to settings and clear the cache there as well.

Then open the market accept the terms and try again.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gitargar

Reaction score
Thanks ymihere and xdrdx for the advice, but neither one worked, still the same problem. Could it be that there is a virus?

phoenix415

Reaction score
tried that

I've tried clearing the cache for the market place and that sometimes works, and I've also gone an cancelled the apps and then clicked to update them and I can usually get them all to work, eventually. However, it just seems strange that it is selectively getting some caught in the endless downloading loop and other are not. And it isn't always the same apps doing it, it seems to be random. It wouldn't be too be of a deal but I have a whole lot of apps on my phone and it can be quite tedious to have to individually cancel and restart the several that get stuck each time.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Clear market history, I think there are a few free apps on the market that do it... I don't know the directory it saves it to off hand so that's the easiest way. If I'm not mistaken I don't think it saves to data/data which is why clearing app data didn't fix it.

Doing that should stop your download congestion problems.

Also simple fixes like turning autosync off and toggeling airplane mode on and off to force your device to re-establish its connection with the network.

{{ WugFresh }}

phoenix415

Reaction score
Clear market history, I think there are a few free apps on the market that do it... I don't know the directory it saves it to off hand so that's the easiest way. If I'm not mistaken I don't think it saves to data/data which is why clearing app data didn't fix it.

Doing that should stop your download congestion problems.

Also simple fixes like turning autosync off and toggeling airplane mode on and off to force your device to re-establish its connection with the network.

{{ WugFresh }}

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the advice--I'll let you know if it works

galaxyhunter

Reaction score
Apps not updating

I too am having the application update problem. I performed the tips posted in this thread but to no avail. When I pull the "notifications bar" down and select the app that has the orange triangle with the exclamation mark in it I get this message; Unkown Reason -18 Anyone else see this too?

gitargar

Reaction score
Apps won't update

Galaxyhunter - I'm having the same problem. Specifically with Angry Birds and Crazysnowboard. Do you have virus protection installed. I have AVG.