Apps to SD

DROOIID

Reaction score
Why can't I move all of my apps to SD card? It says failed not enough space but I have no songs pics or anything really on it. Please help

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI

kamisan

Reaction score
if your using the built in app2sd it only partially moves the app. Instead partition your SD card with something like mini tool partition manager (its free) and you do not have to format, it partitions on the fly, make a 300mb or 500mb fat 32 partition after your main fat32 partition, then install link2sd it will let you move all but core system apps to the sd partition and it fully moves them. You can then set it to auto move any future app as well and updates. It works well, small overhead and it frees ALOT of memory that you need to run GB roms.
P.S. after you install it, you need to move all the froyo app2sd moved apps back to internal before it can move them to the partition section.

my .02 worth

OP
DROOIID

DROOIID

Reaction score
Will you post a link for that mini tool partition manager app

Reaction score
if your using the built in app2sd it only partially moves the app. Instead partition your SD card with something like mini tool partition manager (its free) and you do not have to format, it partitions on the fly, make a 300mb or 500mb fat 32 partition after your main fat32 partition, then install link2sd it will let you move all but core system apps to the sd partition and it fully moves them. You can then set it to auto move any future app as well and updates. It works well, small overhead and it frees ALOT of memory that you need to run GB roms.
P.S. after you install it, you need to move all the froyo app2sd moved apps back to internal before it can move them to the partition section.

my .02 worth

Hey Kamisan,

Thanks for this info and explaining the process. I saw that you mentioned this set up in the V6 SuperCharger Script thread you started and was going to ask you how to go about setting it up.

Thanks Drooiid for posting the question.

kamisan

Reaction score
setting it up,

I am an APP WHORE ;-) Thus I run out of space and the froyo way of handling apps2sd is only halfway and still cumbersome and after a while gets alot of junk in the folder it uses on the SD card (you dont see it unless you plug the micro sd into a pc) So I did some digging (same way I stumbled upon zepplinrox script) So I downloaded the mini tool wizard, put my micro sd card into a USB adapter and ran the software.

I know if you add muti partitions you have a few issues to deal with. One is that your PC will not see more than one partition on a USB style memory device (at least the mini tool claimed as much) I made my primary partition smaller first from 16GB down to 14. something (almost 15GB). (16 is not really 16 but real darn close)

Then after that I created two more partitions on the free space at the end. The first I did as FAT32 at 500MB (which is easy to work with and there are alot of utils that can get to it to repair, extract etc ) The last partition I made ext2 for a swap partition at 500MB that I don't care if I can get to or not.

Then I installed link2sd opened it and it first asks what partition you have ext2, ext3, fat, fat32 I chose FAT32 and it adds a startup script and after a phone reboot you have access to both the FAT32 and ext2 partition.

mmcblk02 should be your FAT32 partition
mmcblk03 should be you ext2 partition

Open up the Link2SD app and now you can see your apps, if you choose a filter and filter to user apps it will show you all the apps it can move.

CAVEAT- If you already did the old froyo way of moving apps you will have to move them back first. It has the option to manage the app from withing the link2sd app.

When you set it up you want to go to settings you can tell it to auto move apps, this works pretty well. The only app it did not work well with that I use is google maps. If you move that one you will get FC's

After you move a pile of apps you will notice you have more free memory since you free up phone internal storage. I have 281 apps install and have 131mb internal free and average now about 61 running memory free.

If your interested in the swap partition install swapper2 when you run it go to settings and advanced and tell it to use the swap partition. It should use the last partition mmcblk03 by default. I choose 64mb of swap and 30% swappiness. It seems to work well.

Hope this helps.

linkboy

Reaction score
I (finally) got this working yesterday, but I'm having one problem.

I can't access my SD card in windows via my phone. If I take the card out and put it in a card reader (so its not a partition issue), it works perfectly fine. It also works under OS X.

Anyone have any idea as to what could cause a Droid not to mount the SD card, but a card reader can?

kamisan

Reaction score
access SD card through phone

turn off USB debugging while you access the card. Its a bug. this will get you around it. After you get the transfer done you can turn it back on.

PARick

Reaction score
I have found app swap to be really good for moving apps to the SD. It costs $1.99 (I think) but well worth it.

linkboy

Reaction score
I got it figured out, thanks.

Although I don't recommend using Paragon Partition Manager, it messed up my MBR (I have a MacBook Pro which uses GUID to boot).

Needless to say I had to wipe my entire HDD and reinstall both OS X and Windows.

:mad:

OP
DROOIID

DROOIID

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. This turned into a good and helpful thread.

rafiki1

Reaction score
If I were to change roms would I have to do the partitioning and everything again? What will happen to the apps already moved to sd using links2sd?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I were to change roms would I have to do the partitioning and everything again? What will happen to the apps already moved to sd using links2sd?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, I think you would have to move all your apps back to internal storage, backup everything, swap roms, then restore...THEN...move them back to SD. I don't think Roms scan the SD card for apps and relink them to the Homescreen automatically.