Apps deleting themselves

J24

Reaction score
I've been noticing that apps have been disappearing. They seem to have been completely deleting themselves. Anyone had this problem or know what's causing it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

doogald

Reaction score
Have you moved the apps to the media area? (Settings->applications->manage applications). If so, try moving them back to phone storage and see if that's better.

savedr

Reaction score
I have been having this problem on stock 5.68 for a long time now, and yes, it is always with apps that have been moved to the media area.

The weird thing is, I figured out that the apps aren't actually gone, it's more like the launcher or Android itself sort of 'forgets' that they are there. For example, and this is coming straight from my phone, say you've got Evernote installed and moved to the media area. Then, one day it doesn't show up in your launcher, and if you're using the separate Evernote Widget app (like I am), it displays a message like "You need the Evernote app to use this widget".

Now, if you go into Settings>Applications>Manage applications, and scroll through the list to about C, you will find an entry for the Evernote app called something like "com.evernote.(something)", and the system says it's sitting on the internal SD card or Media Area. In my experience, while it's gone, if I try to move it back to the phone, I get the error message "Sorry, this app does not exist" or something, and it fails. Sometimes if I reboot, and wait to unlock the lockscreen until the SD card notification goes away after booting, the missing app will reappear like nothing happened. Lots of times, though, I don't feel like rebooting or something and I just reinstall the app; that seems to both correct the problem of the app being installed/present AND remove the phantom "com.evernote.(whatever)" entry in Applications.

Sure would like it if this never happened again, though.

I don't seem to notice this issue nearly as often when I'm using a nonstandard launcher either, usually LauncherPro for me. Can anyone else confirm or notice if this is a stock launcher issue somehow, or deeper, something with the OS itself?

FWIW, I used to see this issue occasionally on my Atrix also, same circumstances, only apps moved to media area. I don't use an external SD card, so I've never experimented with that either, moving apps to a physical card instead.

mikedyk43

Reaction score
I've been noticing that apps have been disappearing. They seem to have been completely deleting themselves. Anyone had this problem or know what's causing it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

This is a common problem with this phone. It generally happens only to apps moved to internal storage when you plug to phone into a computer and have the USB storage option selected. While the phone is connected to the PC, the internal and external SD cards are dismounted from the system so that they can be accessed by the computer. The problem occurs when the phone is disconnected from the PC and the SD card(s) are remounted to the phone, for some reason these internally mounted apps fail to be recognized as installed apps. Solutions to this problem include:

1. Not moving apps to internal storage. (Kind of defeats the purpose of having internal storage)
2. Selecting the "charge only" option when plugged into USB. (This does not dismount SD cards from phone)
3. As mentioned in the previous post, try a different launcher. I can't verify this works, but it is sure worth a try.

Zebulon

Reaction score
I'm having sort of the same problem and it's So aggravating. My Bionic's not completely deleting the app, the icons are going away. Example: I had the shortcut icon for "Bible." It's brown and says Bible on it. Shortly after installed, it turns like aqua blue, says nothing on it but says Bible underneath it. Just one of many to morph on it's own. Anyone else have this happen? Thank you.

Zebulon

Reaction score
I took some advice from here on the forum. All of the icons of the apps that I'd downloaded and moved to the media area, morphed on their own to a standard, blue icon when I powered off my Bionic or cleared the cache, history, and cookies on it. I took advice and moved them back to internal memory, cleared everything that I knew how to, did a battery pull and, praise God, they ALL stayed correct. As you can probably tell, I'm new here and not very technically inclined and I'll prob make plenty of mistakes, but I've learned a lot since yesterday. I'm more than happy to be associated with such knowledgeable folks. It'll Really help me. Thanks in advance, Richard

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Internal or SD?

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

Zebulon

Reaction score
I apologize for not thanking you personally, AqworldThunder. I really appreciate it. It was a pain having to go back and change 'em all. Thanks a million!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums