Apps backup, but not to SD card

todroid

Reaction score
I'm not rooted (waiting for the SBF), so cannot use the TiB for app backup yet. In a mean time, I have to back up my individual apps through their respective backup functions, programs like Launcher Pro, Switch Pro widgets, and Touchdown Exchange. However, I noticed that even though I designated the SD storage as primary, those backup files end up in the internal partition. So if the factory reset is needed, those backup files are lost with the main app, making backup functions useless. To date I have not been able to direct any backups to SD. The problem appears to be on how that internal partition is viewed. When I used to connect my Droid X to the computer it showed up as one drive only (SD). Droid Razr shows up as two drives, the internal storage and SD. I have not figured out how to redirect the Razr to see the true SD as SD, and not the internal storage.
Anybody observed this behavior? I should mention that the pictures and videos are being recorded to SD, but backups are not...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Olmanrivah

Reaction score
Apps are always on the Market. Paid for Apps as well. No need for any other backup.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not rooted (waiting for the SBF), so cannot use the TiB for app backup yet. In a mean time, I have to back up my individual apps through their respective backup functions, programs like Launcher Pro, Switch Pro widgets, and Touchdown Exchange. However, I noticed that even though I designated the SD storage as primary, those backup files end up in the internal partition. So if the factory reset is needed, those backup files are lost with the main app, making backup functions useless. To date I have not been able to direct any backups to SD. The problem appears to be on how that internal partition is viewed. When I used to connect my Droid X to the computer it showed up as one drive only (SD). Droid Razr shows up as two drives, the internal storage and SD. I have not figured out how to redirect the Razr to see the true SD as SD, and not the internal storage.
Anybody observed this behavior? I should mention that the pictures and videos are being recorded to SD, but backups are not...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I've done at least a dozen Factory Data Resets on my Bionic due to installing roms and updates since I bought it. These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

OP
T

todroid

Reaction score
I've done at least a dozen Factory Data Resets on my Bionic due to installing roms and updates since I bought it. These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

LOL. I think I been misunderstood. I've had OG droid since release and Droid X on upgrade. ROMed and flashed both on regular basis. If I was rooted I would use TiB, as a non-root user (for now), as stated above, I cannot. So advice on root tools, although valid, is not applicable here. And Google does not backup app data.
And to the fact that the apps themselves install from the Market, yes, that's been the case since FroYo, I believe. However the data does not. And restoring the data is the longest part of the setup of these apps.
It's just interesting to me that instead of being seen as a single partition, Razr is seen as two. And although the apps say that they store data on SD card, they are really dumping that data onto the internal partition.

Last edited: