Apple vs. Samsung Quick Summary of New Developments for August 3rd

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
apple-vs-samsung-with-gavel.png

We thought rather than give a lengthy and detailed description of every single Apple vs. Samsung patent war event in their trial, we would give you some brief summaries of what is new (and interesting) in the saga.

First, as a follow-up to the story from yesterday, Apple had the most ridiculous and draconian request in order to punish Samsung for leaking evidence to the public. They basically asked the judge to immediately declare them the victors and give them everything they wanted. Here's a quote from the Apple lawyers,

“Apple requests that the Court issue sanctions granting judgment that Apple’s asserted phone design patent claims are valid and infringed by Samsung.”

Second, Judge Koh responded to Apple today on this motion and basically denied this ludicrous request. Things aren't rosy for Samsung though. The judge listed out the five reasons she believes that Samsung wants to use the "Sony-style" evidence. These reasons are,

“(1) [to] rebut Apple’s creation theory that the iPhone was ‘revolutionary’; (2) to rebut allegations of copying; (3) to establish that the industry at large was moving toward the basic design concepts; (4) to prove design functionality; and (5) to rebut allegations of willfulness.”

Judge Koh, however, will only allow Samsung to attempt to prove the fourth one reason, and will not permit the others.

Third, Apple is extremely frightened of today's court proceedings because Samsung plans to introduce Apple's closely guarded device specific sales numbers to the court as part of their defense. This of course, will indirectly give it to the public, and Apple doesn't want that. They have filed a motion to block Samsung from releasing this info. They claimed to the court that it will cause “severe harm to Apple” if disclosed. The judge has yet to rule on this.

Source: SlashGear 1 & 2

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Apple needs to get off their freaking high horse. The iPhone brought smart phones to the average consumer, and that's pretty much it. In the grand scheme of it all the original iPhone was not that revolutionary outside of maybe its design. By that I mean how pretty they made it look, but I'd be hard press to call something pretty revolutionary.

riko540

Reaction score
Why would releasing device specific sales numbers hurt the company? I'm confused by that unless they are trying to hide something that they don't want people to know.

Apple needs to get off their freaking high horse. The iPhone brought smart phones to the average consumer, and that's pretty much it. In the grand scheme of it all the original iPhone was not that revolutionary outside of maybe its design. By that I mean how pretty they made it look, but I'd be hard press to call something pretty revolutionary.

At the time it was released the only other major competitor was BlackBerry which iirc didn't have any touchscreen phones they relied on the keyboard and trackball. Don't get me wrong there were plenty of touchscreen phones but I don't think any of them were smartphones.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
They have filed a motion to block Samsung from releasing this info. They claimed to the court that it will cause “severe harm to Apple” if disclosed.

i wonder if they know exactly have they are doing to other companies.

npro1464

Reaction score
If I were a federal judge trying a case like this, I think I would do a little research myself and figure out that other companies came out with answers to the iPhone before Samsung did. I think I would also look into the history of smartphones, from the early days of Blackberry til now, so that I can get a full grasp on what I am deciding on. How come I feel like this Judge has no idea about smartphones? To the average consumer, they may all be iPhones and iPhone rip-offs. Does she even know what the G1 was? The Nexus One? The Original Droid? All were smart phones released with the Android operating system, all were not made by Samsung.

I think this was the same judge that banned the Galaxy Nexus and forced universal search out of Android, IIFC. So, I'm not optimistic this circus ends here.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, she is the very same judge.

I'm clearly missing something though. The claim is that Samsung has caused damage to Apple's financial outlook, yet Apple won't present the numbers. What would be amazing is if by shifting around some part of the manufacturing process Apple had actually seen the same or more revenue from the iPad and iPhone since Samsung became a player despite changes in sales numbers.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's absolutely ridiculous. This case should be thrown out of court, and others like it. You should never be able to patent a box with round edges and that Samsung copied their design. It's like saying that apple took the idea of how a laptop looked or a computer case should look and copied it (I know neither happened). The entire US Patent Office is out of control and the laws behind patents and trademarks are just as out of control. The entire system needs to be looked at and rewritten, which this has been said by many judges and higher ups who see the complete craziness of these things in the court system.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

The iPhone wasn't even a smartphone until v2.x of the OS *LOL*

Rindaen

Reaction score
I hate all these lawsuits as much as anyone.
Is Apple 100% in the right? I dont think So
But Samsung isnt either.
I get the impression Samsung is just feeding the Internet and
the Fanboism that is so prevalent from Apple to Android.

Do people really think this case is all about Rectanlges? That is Absurd

The patent system needs work , However that doesnt mean that people should be able to carbon copy others IP.

Should Zynga be able to copy The Sims without reprocussion?
We will know soon since EA has started taking action against Zynga.

CaptainSeth

Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of back in the day when Sega and Nintendo were at each other's throats. Or, more specifically, the users.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Why would releasing device specific sales numbers hurt the company? I'm confused by that unless they are trying to hide something that they don't want people to know.

At the time it was released the only other major competitor was BlackBerry which iirc didn't have any touchscreen phones they relied on the keyboard and trackball. Don't get me wrong there were plenty of touchscreen phones but I don't think any of them were smartphones.

The Treo predated the iPhone and it was a smart phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2