Apple Store Refuses to Sell iPad to American Customer Because She Spoke Farsi

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;FBDFILJ8tkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBDFILJ8tkM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

Now, this story isn't directly related to this forum, but it looks like it might turn into one of the big tech news pieces of the day, so it is worth sharing. As you can see in the video above, according to a local news report in the U.S. State of Georgia, a 19-year-old American teenaged girl was discriminated against by an Apple store because she spoke the language Farsi. Apparently, the Apple store employee refused to sell Sahar Sabet an Apple iPad, because the store employee recognized that she was speaking Farsi to her uncle, which is the language spoken in Iran.

The store employee claimed Apple's policies dictate that Apple products must not be sold for export to Iran, North Korea or other countries that the US has a trade embargo against. The Apple store employee reportedly told her, "I just can't sell this to you. Our countries have such bad relations." When she explained that she was an American citizen and she had no intention of exporting it, the store employee responded with, "This policy relies on the customer being honest," and still refused to sell it to her. Sabet was shocked and dismayed and said the experience was, "Very hurtful, very embarrassing. I actually walked out in tears."

Ironically, the store employee that refused her service was originally from Iran, which is why he knew that she was speaking Farsi.

Update: After doing some more digging, there are conflicting reports as to whether she claimed where she was sending it. Some reports claimed she said she was sending it to Iran, while others indicate exactly the opposite, that she had no intention of sending it to Iran. We will have to wait to see how this story develops.

Sadly, this wasn't an isolated incident either. Here's a quote with more details on a second report of the same nature:

Another customer, Zack Jafarzadeh, told the reporter that a different Apple Store, in an Atlanta mall, had also refused to sell him an iPhone. He was with a friend, a student on a visa from Iran, at the time. Jafarzadeh recommended: “I would say if you’re trying to buy an iPhone, don’t tell them anything about Iran. That would be your best bet.”

What do you guys think? Are these just overzealous employees taking things too far, or has Apple simply crossed the line?

Thanks for the tip, furbearingmammal!

Source: TheRegister.co.uk and WSBTV

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I smell a discrimination lawsuit. Also Google should give her a free tablet as a PR boost.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

nikecar

Reaction score
unless they had proof she was selling overseas, or buying a large quantity, then this is wrong. Google should give her a tablet!!!

silverfang77

Reaction score
All the more reason to buy an Android. They can do everything an iPhone can and the sellers don't even care if you're from this planet, much less the USA.

Josefius

Reaction score
It could also be he understood what she was saying to her Uncle, like maybe her intent to export it, hence the "we sell to honest people" statement. Just a possibility.

letinsh

Reaction score
At the risk of drawing fire, I agree with Apple on this one. The original story said that she had told the employee that she was buying the product as a gift for a friend/relative (I can't remember which one) in Iran. As the US government has trade embargo's on certain countries for certain technology, I agree with Apple's policy....
And I think Apple is as ghey as the next guy, but...

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the risk of drawing fire, I agree with Apple on this one. The original story said that she had told the employee that she was buying the product as a gift for a friend/relative (I can't remember which one) in Iran. As the US government has trade embargo's on certain countries for certain technology, I agree with Apple's policy....
And I think Apple is as ghey as the next guy, but...

Please send us a link to the original story so I can update mine. Thanks! :)

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
If the employee knew her intention was to send the iPad to Iran then I can agree with the Apple employee for not selling since that is American Policy. I would expect that from any business establishment.

cujo6801

Reaction score
Just more proof that Apple is beyond Ghey... really are we just changing the spelling of this word....still using it in a derogatory statement.....come on people it's 2012..

letinsh

Reaction score
Here's the story I read.
6th paragraph down: "The iPad was to be a gift for her cousin who lives in Iran."

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
letinsh said:
Here's the story I read.
6th paragraph down: "The iPad was to be a gift for her cousin who lives in Iran."

Then that changes the whole story because the sales rep was just following company policy.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
How ridiculous. I work with a man from Iran. In fact, hes there right now for the summer with his family. He owns an iPhone and believe me, he has very poor English. I think Apple is using its arrogance to try to decide these things. Yes, its a law you can't buy items for export to Iran, but in no way does Apple have the right to profile people like that. The young woman in the video speaks better English than most people that are whiter than white. Just one more reason for me not to ever buy an apple product.

Love the hypocrisy too that the employee is Iranian too. How do we know hes not stealing items and shipping them back to Iran!?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Then that changes the whole story because the sales rep was just following company policy.

Just saw this. It was cleverly left out of the news report in the video. Kind of an important piece.