Apple beats all of Android in 4Q in the US

Arodnum1

Reaction score
44.9 vs 44.8? not too shabby, but it doesn't matter because there will always be iPhone people and Android people. I.don't care about sales figures as long as they keep bringing out awesome phones like the razr, Gnex, and rezound

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
44.9 vs 44.8? not too shabby, but it doesn't matter because there will always be iPhone people and Android people. I.don't care about sales figures as long as they keep bringing out awesome phones like the razr, Gnex, and rezound

I agree, just thought it was an amazing stat. When I said last year that 2011 would be the year of Apple, I definitely didn't think it would be because they'd tie or beat Android in share at some point.

mackiv

Reaction score
honestly, i think that its a mixture of apple selling their older models dirt cheap and android phones coming out too fast.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree, just thought it was an amazing stat. When I said last year that 2011 would be the year of Apple, I definitely didn't think it would be because they'd tie or beat Android in share at some point.

You missed the mark by a HUGE margin with Android share rising to over 50% and Apple basically flat. The big "pent-up" demand for a VZW IPhone simply never materialized, but rather Apple continued to acquire new smartphone customers at a fairly constant market share.

The Q4 is easily explained because Apples sales spike around the annual launch of their product, whereas as Android users pretty consistently just upgrade to one of the latest phones when their upgrades come due.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
You missed the mark by a HUGE margin with Android share rising to over 50% and Apple basically flat. The big "pent-up" demand for a VZW IPhone simply never materialized, but rather Apple continued to acquire new smartphone customers at a fairly constant market share.

The Q4 is easily explained because Apples sales spike around the annual launch of their product, whereas as Android users pretty consistently just upgrade to one of the latest phones when their upgrades come due.

On their call they said that iPhone represented 124% year-over-year growth vs 40% growth for industry, doubling their US marketshare. By your definition "pent up demand" simply can never exist haha. If a phone that sells 37M in a quarter, and grows 124% when the industry total is growing 40% doesn't represent pent up demand there is simply no way that any product in existence can ever be in demand.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just posting something that I thought was interesting. I'll bow out of this thread because when you and I argue it goes on for days lol.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Apple people are creaming themselves over this on Engadget. It is pretty funny.

1) They only beat Android by 0.1%...not sure if that is something to brag about, especially when you used to be way ahead of Android in Marketshare.

2) This is for one quarter only, and right after the release of a new phone. Samsung alone almost beat them for the year.

3) Android still dwarf's iOS in smartphone marketshare. Last quarter did not even make a dent.

Reaction score
Apple people are creaming themselves over this on Engadget. It is pretty funny.

1) They only beat Android by 0.1%...not sure if that is something to brag about, especially when you used to be way ahead of Android in Marketshare.

2) This is for one quarter only, and right after the release of a new phone. Samsung alone almost beat them for the year.

3) Android still dwarf's iOS in smartphone marketshare. Last quarter did not even make a dent.

Exactly. Actually, this link was interesting. Not only does android have a commanding lead in OS but Apple is fourth on the list by manufactures.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/29...-marketshare-at-expense-of-rim-and-microsoft/