App to play AVI's?

xxnonamexx

Reaction score
I have loaded an avi to my DROID but it won't play the format. Do I need an app to play an avi on my phone? What format does it play?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty common misunderstanding:

Your problem is likely that you didn't select a supported CODEC. AVI is just a wrapper format. Droid doesn't support all CODEC's that can be contained in the AVI wrapper.

dirtbikerac

Reaction score
Yes, sadly, the Droid can not play AVI files, doesn't matter which app you get. Hopefully in the future, Google will update Android and give us AVI support, it is an extremely popular media file type!

OP
X

xxnonamexx

Reaction score
since I have an .avi file what file format do I need to convert it to in order to have it play correctly?

loudog

Reaction score
it can play .wmv files, not sure if it will work, depends on the codec used. but i have successfully played .wmv files.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
it can play .wmv files, not sure if it will work, depends on the codec used. but i have successfully played .wmv files.

Droid will play WMA files but it does handle them poorly....but they have worked fine for me..

Leprechaun19

Reaction score
avi on droid

while the droid does not support avi, i'm not sure if anyone has posted this app on here yet, but I have been using the yxflash app to play avi. the free version works ok, but I bought the full version through the app itself and it has worked great for me