App backup & REINSTALL available?

jenniE2006

Reaction score
Is there a GOOD app for backing up all your apps (kinda like iTunes for apple) where if you swap out phones (same kind just replacement) where you don't have to MANUALLY go and reinstall them and start over? My husbands Nexus is being replaced and I
dont want to spend forever reinstalling the apps he has on his phone.. :) ANY HELP AND IDEAS appreciated! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!DancingNexus

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Welcome to the forum!!!

These two apps will back-up your apps and their associated data. Root is required to be able to back up app data such as settings, saved games, etc.

Titanium Backup PRO

My Backup Pro

MyBackUp pro is a little more user friendly and a bit easier to understand.

If you just want to back up the apps without data there are free versions of both of those apps. Just make sure that you keep your current SD card and put it in the device. When you reinstall the back-up app that you have chosen your back-up file will be there to restore.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Rerware,+LLC

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I am not sure there is an app to accomplish this. As Titanium backup requires root to do just about anything, actually I am pretty confident the app is 100% useless without root. My Backup may work without root, to just backup apps, but I would imagine that the installation method would require you to babysit the device to reinstall them all, clicking ok to install for each app. The only way to root the Galaxy Nexus requires you to unlock, which wipes the entire device, so rooting then using one of these apps isn't really a solution to this problem.

That said you have two options that I can think of.

First: Google syncs your apps to the cloud. By that I mean when you get a new device, a replacement GN or a completely different device, when you log in with your gmail, it should automatically download all of your apps for you. This can take a while depending on your network connection, also this method requires data, which if you are on a bandwidth limited plan this may not be an ideal outcome.

Second: This requires a PC and a bit of setup on that PC. [GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root - xda-developers <-- This is what you would be doing, using adb backup to make a full backup and restore. I believe Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.3 | WugFresh <-- that can do the adb backup and restore I believe (I have never used the toolkit personally).

Side note, in any, or all of these methods, since there isn't a removable SDcard, you will need to back it up to a PC yourself. So if you have pictures/videos/music/whatever else on there you would like to keep that isn't backed up elsewhere, it may not be a bad idea to back them up.

E2A: I can go into further detail if you want me to.

jetman

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd GNex, after my first went face down on a concrete floor and scrambled the glass display. I ordered another to replace it, and as soon as I entered my G-Mail address it loaded up all of my contacts and 90% of my Apps. I still had to reload my music, and all pics were gone, and text message history, but at least I didn't have to reinstall all of my apps. For some reason, only a few of the Apps didn't reload automatically. If you go to Settings/Backup & Reset/ and make sure there is a check mark next to "Back up my Data" and "Automatic Restore" you should be good to go.

baileythorne

Reaction score
What is the path to get the MyBackupPro files to show up when you use a USB cable to plug the phone into a PC? I see this directory: "Galaxy Nexus > Internal Storage > rerware" but no recent backups are listed.

I had this working manually then scheduled backups. I couldn't find the incremental backups so made some changes to the path and now can no longer find any new backup files or scheduled backups. I've spent hours trying various paths.

On MyBackupPro I click the 3 dots in the top right corner, choose "Options", "Backup Location", and type in a path. I've tried all of these:
/mnt/sdcard, /sdcard, /sdcard/rerware any many others, some that were immediate flagged as invalid.

Does anyone know what the correct path is to get the backup files to show up on the "Internal Storage" drive once connected to the PC? I want to copy the backup files over to my PC and keep a copy off the phone. I prefer not to use online backups due to privacy issues.

Also:
Do the scheduled backups save into a different location than manual full backups?
If I'm going to restore do I need a full backup plus all incremental backs since the full backup?

Any help would be appreciated.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
What is the path to get the MyBackupPro files to show up when you use a USB cable to plug the phone into a PC? I see this directory: "Galaxy Nexus > Internal Storage > rerware" but no recent backups are listed.

I had this working manually then scheduled backups. I couldn't find the incremental backups so made some changes to the path and now can no longer find any new backup files or scheduled backups. I've spent hours trying various paths.

On MyBackupPro I click the 3 dots in the top right corner, choose "Options", "Backup Location", and type in a path. I've tried all of these:
/mnt/sdcard, /sdcard, /sdcard/rerware any many others, some that were immediate flagged as invalid.

Does anyone know what the correct path is to get the backup files to show up on the "Internal Storage" drive once connected to the PC? I want to copy the backup files over to my PC and keep a copy off the phone. I prefer not to use online backups due to privacy issues.

Also:
Do the scheduled backups save into a different location than manual full backups?
If I'm going to restore do I need a full backup plus all incremental backs since the full backup?

Any help would be appreciated.

Your backup folders should be on your SD card. Not your internal storage. When you plug it in to your PC the path should be [Whatever you named your SD card drive](drive letter)>reware>MyBackUp. And you should have two folders in that folder. One named AllAppsBackups and another AllBackups.

And welcome to the forum!!!

baileythorne

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I've spend many hours trying to figure this out with no results.

You said: "Your backup folders should be on your SD card. Not your internal storage. When you plug it in to your PC the path should be [Whatever you named your SD card drive](drive letter)>reware>MyBackUp"

- The Samsung Galaxy Nexus has no SD card slot
- I don't know how to name an SD card drive.
- When I plug the phone into my PC the only file structure I see for the phone is: Galaxy Nexus > Internal Storage

So how to I get the backup files to show up here? That would allow me to drag them to the PC for permanent backup.
That's all I'm trying to do. And some of the files have showed up there in the past, I just can't repeat that process.

Or, how do you name an SD card drive and get it to appear when you connect the phone to a PC?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Thank you for responding. I've spend many hours trying to figure this out with no results.

You said: "Your backup folders should be on your SD card. Not your internal storage. When you plug it in to your PC the path should be [Whatever you named your SD card drive](drive letter)>reware>MyBackUp"

- The Samsung Galaxy Nexus has no SD card slot
- I don't know how to name an SD card drive.
- When I plug the phone into my PC the only file structure I see for the phone is: Galaxy Nexus > Internal Storage

So how to I get the backup files to show up here? That would allow me to drag them to the PC for permanent backup.
That's all I'm trying to do. And some of the files have showed up there in the past, I just can't repeat that process.

Or, how do you name an SD card drive and get it to appear when you connect the phone to a PC?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

To rename a drive on your PC just right click and rename. The drive letter will stay the same unless you change it.

Do you have a reware folder on your internal storage??? If so this is where your back-up folders are. One is for apps and one is for data. Inside each of these folders you will find the individual back-ups.

Oh and one more thing. Are you using the free or paid version of MyBackUp Pro??? If you are using the free version it only backs up the apps. It will not back up the apps data. Root is required for that and the paid version uses root access.