Anyway to have just Gmail sync on?

tu3218

Reaction score
Like many of us, we turn sync off on this phone to conserve battery especially since they add in unnecessary options such as stocks. But I would like to have my Gmail sync turned on and receive emails. Is there anyway to do this?

jseah

Reaction score
If you go into "Accounts & Sync" in your settings, you can toggle your Gmail account to sync, while toggling off the sync to your other accounts.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
If you go into "Accounts & Sync" in your settings, you can toggle your Gmail account to sync, while toggling off the sync to your other accounts.

But that's like a manual sync. I want it to be where if I had auto sync on and anytime I receive an email, I also get it right away on my TB.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not if you leave the background data and auto sync on. Manual sync would be opening the application then hitting refresh. Gmail is the only thing I have auto syncing.

But that's like a manual sync. I want it to be where if I had auto sync on and anytime I receive an email, I also get it right away on my TB.

Thread has been Thunder struck!!

orion188

Reaction score
I'm re-opening this thread as I see the question is not answered correctly. The question is:
How can we turn on the auto-sync only for the GMail app, and leave this options for the other things off (so sync is "on" only for the "emails", not the contacts, etc.).
(It has nothing to do with different accounts, but for different data pertaining to a single account!).

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
2 year bump. Woohoo! And the question is answered correctly...go to settings and click accounts and sync as mentioned. Click the account you are signed in under. Then untick all the options for sync except gmail...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

orion188

Reaction score
So, I guess you are talking only about this specific type of phone, HTC Thunderbolt, and not about any android phone. If so, then it was my mistake ;)

geoff5093

Reaction score
So, I guess you are talking only about this specific type of phone, HTC Thunderbolt, and not about any android phone. If so, then it was my mistake ;)
Nope, this works on all Android phones.

orion188

Reaction score
Nope, this works on all Android phones.

It does NOT work on my Xperia Go!. The items under Settings > Accounts & Sync > gmail... are not check boxes, but simple buttons which do a manual refresh whenever they get pressed!

rtb

Reaction score
I have my gmail sync on but I never get notifications when I receive a new email. How do I get notifications when I
receive a new email?

tsingtsai

Reaction score
I know what's going on

I have my gmail sync on but I never get notifications when I receive a new email. How do I get notifications when I
receive a new email?

Okay don't worry. I had the exact same problem and confusion just now, but i figured it out.

I was using htc Vivid and just switched to new One, and I was also confused about the Gmail settings as I can't remember if it was the same situation when I started using Vivid a while back.

Anyway, the solution is you need to switch on auto sync first, THEN go into the " Settings > Accounts & Sync" as everyone else suggested. Only after you start auto sync can you "untickle" each of the listed items (Calendar, Picasa, Google Play, etc.). From there you'll just need to leave Gmail tickled.

It is confusing because if you don't have auto sync on first, it won't show checkbox, as if you can only go into the menus again and again to do manual sync for specific app. But the idea I guess is that you have to grant auto sync authority first, then you can decide what not to sync, and uncheck them from the list.

Hope this helps.

henryzajac

Reaction score
Tsingtsai, you mention that you need to turn autosync on before you can go and toggle your specific email account on/off. How do you turn the "global" autosync on?
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Henry