Anyone Use Their Droid in Europe?

Droid- DC

Reaction score
hey thanks for the input.

if anyone can recommend an electrical outlet converter, that would be great too!

thanks again.

I would recommend the charger that came with the Droid. Just verify that on the charger it says INPUT: 100-240v ~ 50-60Hz and it will work with whatever plug adapter you need. It should also say OUTPUT: 5v - 850mA

So you shouldnt need a power converter, just a plug adapter.

tommyz

Reaction score
I’m about to go to Europe too, made maps for Orux (an offline capable GPS map application), and after some research realized I wasted my time, and that it won’t work with the Droid in Europe for the following reason:

Most phones, as with the Droid, with "GPS" in fact use A-GPS technology. The "A" stands for assisted, and means that the phone relies on the network for help in determining location. Although the phone does receive GPS signals directly from the satellites, it can't determine actual location without help from the cell network.

gpsOne is a position location technology developed by SnapTrack, a subsidiary of Qualcomm. GpsOne is an A-GPS technology, meaning it uses GPS satellites in conjunction with land-based stations (towers) to determine a phone’s location.

Phones with gpsOne can receive raw signals directly from GPS satellites, but require a live connection to a network-based location server to do so. The location server helps the phone find the correct satellites. The location server also processes the raw signals and makes the final calculations that determine location.

gpsOne is integrated into most Qualcomm CDMA chipsets, and is the position location technology used by most CDMA carriers.

From the sounds of it, the only way the Droid's GPS would work in Europe is if it had a Standalone (autonomous) GPS reciever (like a Garmin or TomTom does) or had International GSM roaming. Sadly it does not have either of those, and therefore the GPS will not work outside of the Verizon/CDMA network (800/1900 MHz).

Read more GPS vs. A-GPS: A Quick Tutorial: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs_agps_a_quick_tutorial.html

I thought the Droid had both types of GPS receivers. Meaning it could get a location without the Assist of a cell tower.

Then again I have just put the phone into Airplane Mode and started GPS Test and it shows no GPS satalites.

Oh well. I also was going to get a standalone Nav program for my trip to Europe. Looks like a no go.

Droid- DC

Reaction score
I thought the same too, because Motorola's initial Droid specs were misleading with the GPS specs, claiming it had a standalone GPS antenna, not just A-GPS. But their latest website specs only lists A-GPS and S-GPS. Did they remove that capability right before production, or was the initial specs wrong from day-1? Why would they remove standalone GPS?

Oh well, I’m resurrecting the Garmin and got City Navigator Europe NT maps on an SD card for $80 on eBay for my GPS, Maps and Navigation needs while in Europe, and will probably re-list the City Navigator Europe NT SD card back on eBay when I’m done with it like the person that is sold it to me did.

Either way the Droid will still be great for internet/email/VoIP where WiFi is available, luckily in all my booked hotels. :)

Last edited:

fcmoss

Reaction score
Droid GPS in Europe

The native Google navigation only works on the CDMA network. There's an app in the Marketplace called CoPilot with US & Europe maps that works on wifi. Reviews on it are mixed.

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
Africa

Someone ealier posted using the droid in Africa. I know someone already asked about what capabilities they had there, but it was never answered. The answer interests me as well.

Droid- DC

Reaction score
I'm back from Ireland. Using WiFi in my hotel Google Maps actually found my location in Dublin while connected to WiFi, but only in some of my hotels, not all of them. I guess it somehow knew the location of the router or something. Otherwise I could not use the nav or GPS, and i assume that soon as i left the hotel and lost WiFi it would stop working. On a good note, i was able to make Skype calls using the Fring app while connected to WiFi, that came in handy.

Basically the Droid is only good for email, Internet and Skype (via Fring) while in Europe.

gojiro

Reaction score
Slainte!

Thanks, Droid- DC! I'm going to Ireland soon and wondered if the WiFi would work there. Verizon told me it wouldn't. Glad to know they're wrong!

:icon_ banana:

Slainte!

p.s. Any tips on places to see? I'll be in Dublin for a week.

Tesla's_Child

Reaction score
Thanks, Droid- DC! I'm going to Ireland soon and wondered if the WiFi would work there. Verizon told me it wouldn't. Glad to know they're wrong!

:icon_ banana:

Slainte!

p.s. Any tips on places to see? I'll be in Dublin for a week.

Take a tour of the Guiness factory. It was pretty interesting and they give you a sample at the end. There is a bar there too. A Guiness from Dublin/Factory is like nothing you've ever had. We spent some time in Cork and the "Natives" we hung out with swore that they would never have a Guiness outside of Dublin, their theory was that it didn't travel well. If they wanted a stout they had a Murphy's but mostly just drank Imports, you know Bud/Bud-lite.

gojiro

Reaction score
Take a tour of the Guiness factory. It was pretty interesting and they give you a sample at the end. There is a bar there too. A Guiness from Dublin/Factory is like nothing you've ever had. We spent some time in Cork and the "Natives" we hung out with swore that they would never have a Guiness outside of Dublin, their theory was that it didn't travel well. If they wanted a stout they had a Murphy's but mostly just drank Imports, you know Bud/Bud-lite.[/QUOTE]

Oh, the Guinness Storehouse is on our must-see list. As is the Jameson distillery. My wife and I are big fans of both! :beer2:

fcmoss

Reaction score
Droid in Europe

There's a Droid marketplace app called CoPilot, from ALK Technologies. I called them and they told me their navigation will work on WiFi in Europe. The Europe maps cost about $75.

wayfarer103

Reaction score
i got fringe on my droid. its working over wifi in my house. how exactly do you make skype to skype calls via fringe? also if i use wifi to use this in europe, im fromt he us, will it still be free and will i get charges from vzw?

johng0422

Reaction score
I am in Amsterdam right now with my Droid. i have a wireless internet connection which allows me to access the web just fine. Email works fine. Skype Mobile does not work. It requires a connection to the Verizon network, which of course i do not have in Europe. Sounds like a pretty Draconian limitation that verizon put on Skype. Why should Verizon care whether a Droid is using Skype mobile when there is no Verizon service? The GPS doesn't appear to be working either because i do not have a phone network connection.

johng0422

Reaction score
Update! Just took a walk outside and discovered that my GPS does work. Found my location on Maps just fine. Maps won't update unless I have a wireless connection though. So when i get too far from my access point the maps won't update. Can't have everything I guess. The important thing is that the GPS in my Droid does not depend on having a verizon network connection.

tommyz

Reaction score
Update! Just took a walk outside and discovered that my GPS does work. Found my location on Maps just fine. Maps won't update unless I have a wireless connection though. So when i get too far from my access point the maps won't update. Can't have everything I guess. The important thing is that the GPS in my Droid does not depend on having a verizon network connection.

Hmmm, Interesting. This could be of some use.

Are you sure it is the GPS working or is it just the phone finding a location based on the WIFI location?

johng0422

Reaction score

Hmmm, Interesting. This could be of some use.

Are you sure it is the GPS working or is it just the phone finding a location based on the WIFI location?
i am sure. I zoomed in on the map and can see myself walking up the street past the building where my wifi access point is located. If i go outside the range of my access point, the maps don't update anymore but my location moves along the existing map.

The GPS is working, I am positive.