Any definite answer on aftermarket chargers?

Laramie

Reaction score
Been reading and searching, seems there's lots of different opinions on the matter.

I have an OEM blackberry car cherger from my old storm and I need a second wall charger for work. I was hoping to get something at walmart since money is a little tight.

Does walmart or target carry the OEM motorola charger and how much are they?

KarenElissa

Reaction score
Been reading and searching, seems there's lots of different opinions on the matter.

I have an OEM blackberry car cherger from my old storm and I need a second wall charger for work. I was hoping to get something at walmart since money is a little tight.

I believe they have to be above a certain spec to work, but I don't remember exactly what. I can, however, recommend this one from Amazon. I bought two and they both work great, and $5.50, including shipping, is a good price.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Any charger needs to be rated out 5V +/- 0.25V with at a minimum of 500ma. The higher the current, the faster the phone will charge, but the critical thing is that the voltage be 5V. The aftermarket chargers that are causing trouble have unregulated outputs and are putting out a higher voltage than the droid can safely handle.

Too low a current won't hurt the droid, but it will cause it to charge very slowly or not at all. Too low or too high a voltage can cause all sorts of strange things to happen, including damage to your droid.

To those that insist the problem is low current, plug your droid into a USB port on your computer and see what happens. Those ports are limited to 500ma each, but have a regulated 5V output. If, as has been insisted on many of these threads, too low a current is causing the problems, charging from the USB port would cause problems as well. Instead, it just causes the phone to charge more slowly.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's something more to it than the specs of the charger. I have an old Razor charger that is on the low end of the specs (think it's like 550ma) and it works GREAT, but I have an newer HTC charger on the high end of the specs (700ma) and while the phone recognized the cable (i.e. it comes on when you plug it in) it will NOT charge from it. It's still within the supposed 'acceptable' range and charges other phones fine.

jimnutt

Reaction score
It's possible that the phone doesn't recognize a charger if it doesn't see either a) a valid USB data connection or b) the d+ and d- pins of the USB connector shorted together. I'm just speculating here, so take it with a grain of salt, but high current USB chargers are supposed to short the d+/- pins to indicate to the device that it can pull more than 500ma from the charger.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
854mA (or more) is required of a charger to work properly with the Droid :)

dfjkl

Reaction score

I believe they have to be above a certain spec to work, but I don't remember exactly what. I can, however, recommend this one from Amazon. I bought two and they both work great, and $5.50, including shipping, is a good price.

Actually that 5334A was just as bad as the cheap chargers. Define what you mean by "work great?" When ours are plugged into that charger, they are unusable. The stock charger, it works fine. Our Blackberry OEM chargers are the only other chargers so far that have come close to working acceptably...but even those occasionally throw in an extra letter here and there when plugged in while typing.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
I bought an after market charger (best buy) mainly because of the length of the supplied cord and it worked great...fit about a month. Now it charges it at times, others it doesn't, and sometimes it flicks back and fourth between charging and not

Needless to say, no more after market got me lol.

amyk

Reaction score
I use the car charger that I bought at VZW store for my LG Dare--just a possibility if you're looking for one at WallyWorld or even eBay

2amReply

Reaction score
I just received my SPN5528A. I hadn't realized that it was a 550ma charger until now. It takes about 13 minutes to increment 10%.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
MONOPRICE FOR ALL YOUR CABLE NEEDS!!!!!!!

-=Jason=-