another reminder to myself why I shouldn't get into custom ROMs: can't reboot

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to go into stock recovery and wipe data. Use the method I posted before, but when you get to the Android with the triangle, press the search button if you used the Froyo sbf file. Wipe data and cache, then reboot.

random rom'd X

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Brad92,

I tried the Linux method but it would not boot from the USB. Got a screen and it said it would automatically boot in so many seconds. Any chance tomorrow I could call you and you could walk me through the making the USB bootable? I am at wits end and am going to bed before I shave my other eyebrow off. As a sacrifice to the gods before I got the RSD to work I shaved my Andy Rooney like eyebrow in two. Then when I couldn't get it to power up manually I cut one off.

Thanks,

Jim

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Brad92,

I tried the Linux method but it would not boot from the USB. Got a screen and it said it would automatically boot in so many seconds. Any chance tomorrow I could call you and you could walk me through the making the USB bootable? I am at wits end and am going to bed before I shave my other eyebrow off. As a sacrifice to the gods before I got the RSD to work I shaved my Andy Rooney like eyebrow in two. Then when I couldn't get it to power up manually I cut one off.

Thanks,

Jim

Im sorry, but the eyebrow thing made me laugh like crazy. :D

I haven't done the Linux boot from the hard drive before, I have only done it from a CD. If you can burn the iso to a disc somehow, either from a family member's computer or somebody else's, or even use RSD Lite on a non Windows 7 computer, that would be your best option. I am sorry you are having this kind of trouble. I have used RSD Lite and the sbf CD on 2 different computers with success, but both of them were Windows Vista.

I will PM you my number, but I have class from 7 am to 11, then from 1-3 tomorrow. If you could call after those times or text me your number, I can give you a call and try and help out any way I can. Or depending on if we can't get it to work for you at all, I can mail you a copy of the Linux sbf disc.

random rom'd X

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Brad,

The gods must have reconsidered. While making coffee this morning, I tried the two fingers on the volume keys and power. I got to the triangle. I then followed your advice regarding the search button and as of now I am back to stock. At first it said the wipe data wouldn't work but then I tried cache. It worked so I went back to data.

I can't thank you enough for your help. I am of course happy about the Droid X and am resisting the urge to root again for now. However, I do have another dilemma: getting stares. I assume for the one eyebrow thing. I am close to letting it go and doing a Ziggy Stardust look---probably well before your time.

Again, much appreciated.

Jim

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Brad,

The gods must have reconsidered. While making coffee this morning, I tried the two fingers on the volume keys and power. I got to the triangle. I then followed your advice regarding the search button and as of now I am back to stock. At first it said the wipe data wouldn't work but then I tried cache. It worked so I went back to data.

I can't thank you enough for your help. I am of course happy about the Droid X and am resisting the urge to root again for now. However, I do have another dilemma: getting stares. I assume for the one eyebrow thing. I am close to letting it go and doing a Ziggy Stardust look---probably well before your time.

Again, much appreciated.

Jim

Awesome! I'm really glad you got it figured out. If you're like me though, once you experience a rooted phone, you can never go back. ;)

Ziggy Stardust must have been before my time but I can't help remember the kid in my middle school who shaved his eyebrows off. :D

random rom'd X

OP
T

Trionalaw

Reaction score
Ziggy was an androgynous persona David Bowie created to get noticed. The band was Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. You should google it.

I probably will last no more than a week unrooted.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ziggy