Android vs Apple vs Windows phones

king72a

Reaction score
First off I'd like to apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this question but I wasn't completely sure where to post this.

Here's the situation. A coworker who is an older gentlemen, in his 50's, is looking at getting his first smartphone for personal use and has asked for my help. Now I love android and have had 2 android phones. I've also had a Blackberry and recently played around with a Windows phone. I'm a little concerned about android being to much for him.

The question I would like to ask is which operating system would you recommend for a newbie, basically, who has never had a smartphone? Which one do think has the shortest learning more curve?

Sent from my HTC Rezound

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he's a complete smartphone "newb", then I'd have to lean towards the iPhone or Windows Phone. Windows Phone is great - very simple, very smooth, very much a "just works" platform since the 7.5 update, but he won't have near as many people around him to help out with that OS, honestly (and sadly! :)). So that makes me lean towards the iPhone.

I'm simply thinking about my dad and a few of our clients who are that age (and up), and can't fiddle with the stuff at all. It has to "just work" 99% of the time or they're frustrated... b/c to them it's ... *gasp*... just a phone. :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Shortest learning curve I'd definitely say is the iPhone. Depends on how much the person wants to learn their phone as well, I find myself still helping my parents (who are not into tech at all) with their iPhones. However, they've gotten the hang of it for the most part. Both were extremely frustrated with it them, but now they love them and they rarely put their iPhones down :D

windows phones are pretty straightforward as well, but I haven't had any real hands-on time with them to really comment on them. Definitely going to check them out.

As for Android, HTC UI is fairly straight forward, but you still gotta dig around to get to what you really want. Your friend may just end up getting frustrated with it and will most likely want something different. If you're comfortable with someone else using your phone (I always am) let them mess around with it for a couple minutes, see if they like how things are. Android definitely has the biggest learning curve though.

flamewalker

Reaction score
As much as I love Android, you can't go wrong with an iPhone for a newbie. The build quality of the hardware alone is tough to beat... and the software, as jntdroid said, "just works". Sure, you are forever lassoed to Apple... which really isn't that bad of a deal considering how highly rated their tech support is.

I personally love Android for the openness and the ability to tinker (cause I am an IT "nerd"... tinker is my middle name :) ... but for all its benefits, the one thing I haven't really seen is a very solid "just works" phone to compete with the likes of the iphone. Phone quality varies wildly in the android marketplace... from phones like the Razr that come very close, to the super cheap "freebies" that offer lackluster support and performance and lack of updates etc. In my mind the tech support (Genius Bar, etc) is what sets Apple apart the most... especially for an older gentleman "newbie".

Keep in mind the iPhone 4s is mostly glass... make sure he gets a good case, and he might even consider AppleCare+ for $99 (and a $49/accidental incident - drops and the like, and up to 2 accidental damage fixes/replacements and unlimited hardware/software related fixes/replacements). Even with 2 accidental replacements, $200 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $699/ea for a new phone!

Always do your homework... the carrier warranties are VERY expensive... Bestbuy tried to sell my girlfriend the "Black tie" service for $14.99/mo. Thats $360 over 2 years!

Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
I'd say that he'd be happiest with an iPhone, it'll be the most consistent and easy to use phone.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Windows seems simple enough, but because the platform is selling so slowly the support just isn't going to be there like Android or Apple. If he's willing to see all the options Android will be great; if he wants something to the point with one way to do things Apple is definitely for him.