Android Takes 20% of Tablet Market From iPad; The Real Reason Apple is Lawsuit Happy

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-jedis-multi-attack.jpg

This is an editorial from last Friday that didn't get posted because of the website switchover:

Here's the wrinkle, the thrux of the matter, the real nitty gritty... Apple isn't suing Amazon, HTC, Samsung, and now Motorola because they genuinely believe their ideas are being copied. In fact, Apple's lawsuits have nothing to do with any of these companies. There is one singular pattern emerging from all this... there is only one common denominator: Android.

A new report from ABI Research indicates that in just 12 months time, Google's Android based tablets have taken a 20% chunk out of Apple's iPad marketshare. While it's true that no single manufacturer of a tablet has been able to mount any significant threat to the iPad... taken as a whole, the multiple Android manufacturers aren't just eroding Apple's marketshare in the tablet market, they are slicing through it aggressively. It's precisely because Android doesn't come from just one particular manufacturer that makes it such a monumental threat to Apple. It can attack from multiple angles.

It is very likely that Android's "meteoric" rise to dominance in the smartphone industry scared the crap out of Apple. Now, they are having a terrifying "deja vu" experience in the tablet industry, and see the exact same thing repeating itself with Android for tablets "ramping" up to crush the iPad.

Apple isn't confident that it can go after Google directly or beat it in the marketplace, so it has chosen instead to assault Android indirectly in the courts by going after the manufacturers that make Android products. This is a devious plan, and simply smacks of desperation.

In many ways, it is a very sad tale. Apple is actually a pretty amazing company and has always been a leader in innovation. I even consider myself to be a fan of Apple. They pioneered some of the greatest technological phases in human history, but for some reason they always choose to remain a "closed" system. This ultimately leads to their downfall, just like when Microsoft beat them in the past with PC's versus Macs. It may be true that for the longest time Macs were a better product than any PC (and it could be argued that they still are), but it is impossible to deny that when it comes to market proliferation, they got the "snot beat out of them." Windows based PCs control a vast majority of the world's home computer markets, and Mac OS computers hold maybe 15%.

History is repeating itself with Android vs. iOS, and unless Apple decides to become more "open-minded," their fate is already sealed; they will again be relegated to a "niche" market spot. Fighting their competitors by abusing the legal system will not stop it, and simply just smacks of "bad form."

Does anyone else see this same pattern? Isn't it obvious?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via BGR
Picture Source: RougeCrown via MobileAttack.com

Last edited:

ChezJfrey

Reaction score
Would you consider Gateway or Apple having a niche in the computer market? I think I would given the numbers: Dell has 32.1 percent, HP 23 percent, Gateway 6.4 percent, Apple 6.1 percent.

I that same vein, I think I would call 5% of the global phone market, with the top 2 carrying 29.2% and 18.8% respectively somewhat of a 'niche' spot.

Granted, in the U.S., the iPhone has 14% behind Samsung at 23% and LG at 18%, so they are in the mix there. But worldwide, I place them pretty close to niche status.

And if you're just to compare their share of smartphone OS platform, independent of phone manufacturer and roll up iPhone vs. others running android, Win Mobile or BB (similar to PC vs. Mac...there are many different flavors of PCs running the competing MS OS), then they again probably fall into 'niche' if you ask me.

I know some argue that 'platform' makes no sense as they are competing against individual phone manufacturers, not a platform, but I would argue that it still pertains as that is the sort of thinking that has relegated Apple to a lower standing in the computer market and has propelled most of the others that were able to offer machines with MS and Linux, rather than a closed hardware/software system; this limitation detracts from overall sales potential. While the PC world is obviously fragmented with many manufacturers, Apple is technically also competing with Microsoft and nobody can argue that the numbers show MS owns Apple in that arena.

I think Apple is innovative and they often come up with the first passes at some cool technology. And perhaps this 'obvious' trend that the OP refers to is actually not lost on them...I have to believe that they aren't stupid. Maybe, they are relying on faith that they will be the forefront of new, leading technological wonders, will bank on that for awhile, then when others emerge that might be infringing on them, they might try to seek legal means to deter, probably lose those (but it was worth a shot to prolong their edge), become relegated to diminishing market share again, but continue to rely on their faith that their development teams will again launch something new and exciting...maybe they are just taking the risk that they will always come up with something new, charge a premium, retain a relatively small, but very loyal following, live that high life for awhile, eventually lose out to competitor share, rinse and repeat?

Riskier, but maybe it works for them and their business philosophy? Just throwing out random thought here...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't become the worlds wealthiest brand by being a niche. Computer's yes maybe but for mobile platforms and the tablet platform not a chance. Yes Android has overtaken the marketshare but apple has seen consistent numbers the whole way through. They also just recorded their highest quarter financially last quarter.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Please tell me there is a high res image of the one used in the first post of this thread.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it last week when android tablets had 35% of the share...?

Apple will be fine...ppl have been predicting the end of apple for two years

Detonation

Reaction score
The thing is, Apple has something going for them that I doubt Android will ever have...and that's being a luxury brand. Many people want Apple products for showing off as much as they want them for using them...they are status symbols. And this will forever keep them from being a niche item.

nikecar

Reaction score
The thing is, Apple has something going for them that I doubt Android will ever have...and that's being a luxury brand. Many people want Apple products for showing off as much as they want them for using them...they are status symbols. And this will forever keep them from being a niche item.
and thus the justified higher price (to themselves) and thus the wealthiest brand.

Hey, when you charge $.01 per day to a 12yo kid in Asia, you will become the wealthiest when your profit margin is like 1000%

alboboy10

Reaction score
I think the only people hanging on to apple products are the people that have been brain washed into believing that you need to get just apple products to live a good life. People obsessed with paying 2500 for a laptop that I can buy for 700.

But apple is so simple, so smooth, so perfect.
That's all you hear from people.

It's just a product, and like everything else technological it fails and has problems

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
and thus the justified higher price (to themselves) and thus the wealthiest brand.

Hey, when you charge $.01 per day to a 12yo kid in Asia, you will become the wealthiest when your profit margin is like 1000%

Most ignorant statement I have read in this forum. Congrats for that.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

shakes268

Reaction score
Yep - forgot to add in "suicidal 12 yo kid in Asia".

Most ignorant statement I have read in this forum. Congrats for that.