Android.process.media

Athlone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Tablet Tab2 5110
Hi guys,
I have a Samsung Tab2 10.1 - 5110 for the last 1 year or there about.
The Tab has been working fine until the last system update in September as it installed itself then.
Since then it displays the above thread title message every 2 to 3 seconds until I had the media storage item disabled. Since then it only comes up at the beginning of any session and or when we would like to go online to download etc.
It immediately closes down the internet and denies me access to it apart from u-tube.
It will allow me access to my other programs stored on the Tab but not any that open the net which is at this point at factory reset and as good as useless to me.
What I had done since the start of this occurring was the following after research on the net without it solving the issue.
1. factory reset
2. clear cache and clear data etc. of relevant involved items like media storage contacts etc. etc.
3. disable Media storage at which stage it is now
4. wiped SD card
none of it has solved this issue and I had also rang Samsung support to get help there.
their reply was indifferent and standard answer was they will have an update to solve the issue in a weeks time which was some 4 weeks ago.
In addition I was told it isn't their fault as the Tab is run by Android OS and basically the feeling I got was .. your out on your own ... which is totally unacceptable.
Furthermore I was told in the shop I bought the unit that the companies are never sure if OS update will work without any problems and basically we be loaded with a new update and if it doesn't work they will fix it with an update at some point. Hell yeah
At this point I would need some help how I could solve the problem or could I wipe the Android OS system to replace with another which would be my last option, though I hate all this crap they load you with preinstalled programs that no one uses when u buy said tablets.
Just to be sure it is a Tablet not a phone :)

Any help appreciated.. best regards Athlone

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Have you tried:
Settings--> General--> Application Manager--> Select your Menu Button--> Select "Reset App Preferences" ?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Athlone

I would not attempt installing a different launcher or ROM. The tablet should be functioning properly before going that route as it could not only not solve the problem but could make it worse.

2 things come to mind. The tablet could be defective, or an app that was installed again, after your reset, is causing the problem. During setup you have the option to not sync with Google. Try that to see if it's stable as a pure, clean system.

OP
A

Athlone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Tablet Tab2 5110
Have you tried:
Settings--> General--> Application Manager--> Select your Menu Button--> Select "Reset App Preferences" ?
Thanks Ollie for your reply ... I tried that no luck :(

OP
A

Athlone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Tablet Tab2 5110
Welcome to the forum Athlone

I would not attempt installing a different launcher or ROM. The tablet should be functioning properly before going that route as it could not only not solve the problem but could make it worse.

2 things come to mind. The tablet could be defective, or an app that was installed again, after your reset, is causing the problem. During setup you have the option to not sync with Google. Try that to see if it's stable as a pure, clean system.

Am trying Your Tip and thanks Leeshor I let u know asap
Just an additional question .... should I do or can I do a factory reset via Kies ?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Best to do it in settings. Do it twice to be sure. Just don't install any apps until you determine if it's stable or not.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I had that pop up before and it was so bad that it made my device almost unusable. It was an issue with my Contacts application. After flushing them through the Applications Manager it went away.

It happened after flashing a rom on my S4. There were 3 services I had to reset, but I cannot remember the third one. The other two were Contacts and Contacts Storage.

If worse comes to worse and a restore in Samsung Kies doesn't work you can always flash the last good firmware back onto your tablet using Odin on a PC and the firmware that was running smoothly.

OP
A

Athlone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Tablet Tab2 5110
Am trying Your Tip and thanks Leeshor I let u know asap
Best to do it in settings. Do it twice to be sure. Just don't install any apps until you determine if it's stable or not.

Just done as you said not working Leeshor,
it keeps coming back immediately when done factory reset
did factory reset twice from the Tablet settings.
Any other ideas other than driving the boot through it ? lol

OP
A

Athlone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Tablet Tab2 5110
I had that pop up before and it was so bad that it made my device almost unusable. It was an issue with my Contacts application. After flushing them through the Applications Manager it went away.

It happened after flashing a rom on my S4. There were 3 services I had to reset, but I cannot remember the third one. The other two were Contacts and Contacts Storage.

If worse comes to worse and a restore in Samsung Kies doesn't work you can always flash the last good firmware back onto your tablet using Odin on a PC and the firmware that was running smoothly.

Hi Ollie,

I had done that before as well with the 2 you mentioned above but don't know the third to try
it wouldn't be google services cuz that one comes up sometimes as well ?

tho at this stage I have not reset the Samsung and google account on the Tab to test what Leeshor suggested

Re flash can u point me in the directions as to how to do that ?
Where do I download Odin from
And would I do the Flash with Kies ?

Thanks a mil for your help

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I would start with the easiest suggestions first from leeshor.

Odin is a standalone program that you run on your PC (not Mac compatible). It is rumored to have been coded by Samsung engineers to flash stock firmwares to their devices. It is incredibly easy to use and yet if instructions aren't heeded it can end up putting you in a bad situation.

A couple of key points to using Odin are that you must first and foremost be 100% sure that the factory firmware you picked to flash to your device is actually for your device and not another. This is by far the most common mistake I have seen from people using Odin.

Always try to flash your device using the cable that came with your device and make sure all Samsung Kies processes on your computer have been stopped.

If there isn't another option after trying out as many things that people can suggest then we can walk you through using Odin. It isn't difficult.

OP
A

Athlone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Tablet Tab2 5110
I would start with the easiest suggestions first from leeshor.

Odin is a standalone program that you run on your PC (not Mac compatible). It is rumored to have been coded by Samsung engineers to flash stock firmwares to their devices. It is incredibly easy to use and yet if instructions aren't heeded it can end up putting you in a bad situation.

A couple of key points to using Odin are that you must first and foremost be 100% sure that the factory firmware you picked to flash to your device is actually for your device and not another. This is by far the most common mistake I have seen from people using Odin.

Always try to flash your device using the cable that came with your device and make sure all Samsung Kies processes on your computer have been stopped.

If there isn't another option after trying out as many things that people can suggest then we can walk you through using Odin. It isn't difficult.

Hi Leeshor and Ollie,I

I have used Leeshors link and cant get up the firmware I am looking for my model

Any help on that ?

Samsung Tab2 GT-P5110 10.1 wifi
Serial or product number: RF2D30SNCDJ

have downloaded Odin on my laptop and am set up with kies for it as well

don't want to be a pest but need more help cannot see the firmware I should be looking for or am I making mistake ?
have also signed up to the sam site just in case it wont allow cuz of it lol

Thanks guys tho am kind of coming to the end of my tether with this lol

OP
A

Athlone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Tablet Tab2 5110
The firmware is region dependent. You should be able to find matching firmware here. Samsung Updates Latest Firmware - LIVE

Those are all for your tablet.

Thanks a mil Leeshor ur link got me there

I am downloading the latest version from August 2014 for the UK region tho am in Ireland but I would guess its the same.
Just thinking should I download an earlier version or maybe its just that my version is corrupted.
btw the version according to Kies that I have on the Tab is PDH: NH2 / CSC:NH2

and lol 9 hrs to download onto laptop

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1. Extract or “unzip” the downloaded firmware. Use winzip, 7zip or any decompressing tool in your computer.
2. Reboot the Galaxy Tab2 into Download Mode
Turn it off, then press and hold down the “Power and Volume DOWN ” buttons at the same time. You will get a warning screen. Press the “Volume UP” to get into download mode. Don’t connect the tablet into the computer yet.
3. Extract and Run Odin flasher tool. Run this as administrator (Right click the Odin.exe and select Run as Administrator).
4. In Odin’s checkboxes options, DO NOT Check the “Re-Partition”, just leave “Auto-Reboot and F-Reset Time” marks.
5. In Odin, click the PDA and choose the downloaded file you extracted. It should end in a .tar.md5 format.
6. Plug the tablet to PC USB connection. In Odin, under ID:COM will highlight and shows the current com port of your Galaxy Tab 2connected to. If you don’t see this and Odin doesn’t responds, it means the device is not connected yet, just try another USB port or USB cable. Give it a few seconds. Sometimes plugging a Download Mode device into the PC initiates another round of driver installs.
7. Click the START button.
8. Wait until it’s finishes flashing. Once it’s done, the tablet will just reboot.

Source:Install P5100XXDNA1 Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 Android 4.2.2 Update - Android Firmware Update

Edited: for clarity

Last edited: