Android Press Conference announced

JayMonster

Reaction score
No surprise there... the Nexus One launch.

The only question after that is do expectations meet reality?

(My vote is for NO... much like the original "Gphone" talk ... which turned out to be the announcement of Android... I suspect there is going to be some facts that will surprise some people.

J

JohnDroid

No surprise there... the Nexus One launch.

The only question after that is do expectations meet reality?

(My vote is for NO... much like the original "Gphone" talk ... which turned out to be the announcement of Android... I suspect there is going to be some facts that will surprise some people.

Yah, it's about the Nexus One: Google announces Android press conference for January 5th - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

The question really is, will they advertise the hell out of this thing like Motorola did or not?

JohnnyDroid

Reaction score
Will HTC release the Passion on Verizon at the same time and get me to consider swapping my newly purchased Droid for it?

The Snapdraggon sounds tasty but I think the Sense UI would bug me. For every Android version that comes out I'd have to wait for HTC to get Sense configured for it before I could use that version? Nope. Eris owners are playing that game and I say more power to em. I'm afraid I want every improvement yesterday.

OP
modified

modified

Reaction score
Will HTC release the Passion on Verizon at the same time and get me to consider swapping my newly purchased Droid for it?

The Snapdraggon sounds tasty but I think the Sense UI would bug me. For every Android version that comes out I'd have to wait for HTC to get Sense configured for it before I could use that version? Nope. Eris owners are playing that game and I say more power to em. I'm afraid I want every improvement yesterday.

I'm in the same boat as you. If the Passion ends up being snappier with a faster internet, i will have to swap my droid. The design of HTC phones leaves me salivating.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Maybe? who Knows....Not swapping mine for anything at the moment.

And it's an HTC....

Last edited:

brochaos

Reaction score
i just wish that google would step back in and UNIFY android. i'm not really a fan of all of this splintering thats happened. new devices running 1.5, old devices running 1.6, other devices running 2.0. some devices with sense, some with motoblur, some just stock.

all partners need to remember that they are on the same team, rather than just trying to push more hardware. if we want more apps, better apps, more support, and more attention, everyone needs to come together.

supposedly the nexus one will be google showing everyone "how it's done".

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm thinking they are going to catch EVERYONE by surprise. Maybe I'm way off base here but here goes......

Would they do all this for a device that is really nothing groundbreaking? Please do not take that statement as knocking the device because it will be a good device. But it's not a huge departure to whats already out now. So does ONE device warrant this kind of attention when it's nothing groundbreaking? I don't think so. I believe in their release they even allude to what I'm going to say.

Here is a small portion:

"With the launch of the first Android-powered device just over a year ago, we've seen how a powerful, open platform can spur mobile product innovation. And this is just the beginning of what's possible."

So here we go. Yes it will introduce the Nexus BUT it will not strictly be about the Nexus per se.

I think what they are going to do is use the conference to introduce everyone to Android 2.1 and it's capabilities using the Nexus to demo it. They may even throw in some surprises with what some of the future updates will bring to the Android platform thus their statement "And this is just the beginning of what's possible."

I think this is more about Google showcasing Android and it's future rather than a showcase of a single device. It's a look into the future of what Android based phones will be capable of and a "oh hey you can get the latest device the Nexus running 2.1 right now if you like the platform" type of conference

HTC did it with Sense yet Google has never presented their OS in such a way yet. Maybe this is that time?

Maybe I'm crazy and feel free to tell me so : ) but this makes more sense to me.

Mojo

Reaction score
CK I think you have hit it right on the button, and oh yeah don't be surprised in the not to distant future you will see a CDMA version of the N1.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Why would there be a CDMA version of the Nexus One if Verizon already rejected Google's idea during the pre-production. Of course there won't be a Nexus One...

But no doubt cereal killer is most likely right. They will probably talk about the success of Android and the growing marketplace and talk about improvements made. They will target potential developers have a message for them...and then of course they will touch on the N1 and T-Mobile and show a demo of the 2.1 and talk about how they are working hard on making Android the #1 mobile OS on the market.

They won't parade everyone together to say "Get T-Mobile. Buy your Nexus-One now!" People the phone is limited to the confines to the time period its released. You buy a laptop today for 1K, you'll get a comparable laptop at 1K from somewhere else, not a computer that turns in to a teleporter and shoots you to Mars.

A conference is one way to get the idea out further of Android and of course the Nexus because there really hasn't been any hype in the real world about the phone. Yeah the tiny minority who check gadget tech blogs heard about the Nexus but it wasn't until a few weeks ago where we knew for a FACT that the Nexus was the Passion and the Passion was the Google Phone.

This isn't like the 100 million dollar push by Verizon to market the Droid. There is a reason too. Google has no sense of urgency. The phone is not unlocked. Verizon needed a flagship device to answer AT&T's attacks and that is why you saw the mega-push from them.

Last edited:

Mojo

Reaction score
LK,

I have seen you post several times that VZW rejected the N1. Where did you get this information? Not questioning you, just wondering where you have saw that at?
But the reason I say that, over Christmas, my business partner went to California to visit some friends. Long story- short, he got to see/play with a N1 and the person that showed it to him. Told him that one may be in the works. I trust my partner, and he would not make that up.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I wouldn't be shocked if a tablet showed up on stage neither....

boatman2220

Reaction score
Droid will be the showcase Android for awhile with Verizon. There's too much money spent to have to promote another bigger better whatever. When Motorola comes out with a newer version it'll go to Verizon also. They have AT&T on the ropes with the coverage and Apple's defensive blocking is failing. Lots of punches are starting to land on the Iphone. Droid is clearly the best contender at this time. It's lean, mean, fast, and smart. Keep the updates and apps coming and it will go for a long time.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would there be a CDMA version of the Nexus One if Verizon already rejected Google's idea during the pre-production. Of course there won't be a Nexus One...
Excellent question. Why is there going to be a Verizon Nexus One? I thought Verizon was "the last safeguard against Google's monopoly" or something like that. :p

Here's my hint: carriers sell service and they do so to make profit.

Last edited: